Scratch build locomotive supply

Started by pechristenson, July 29, 2024, 07:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechristenson

Hi all,

Still a newbie.

Am I at the correct forum? Any suggestions if not?

Present, not finding an On30 scale steam loco that meets my demands. So I thought, maybe I can make one myself from scratch. 1820 - 1850 era. Christmas Carol setting. Searching the web hasn't gone anywhere. So, I find myself here, asking if any of you fine folks are aware of a scratch build supply house.

On30 fits 2 ways; 1:48 fits with Dept 56 buildings (yet, not sure way the people, animals are 2 stories tall - oh well), HO track ease of application (flex) and overall fit to a 5' by 10' area.

Thanks, Paul...
What has gone wrong, with my eyes...

Yard Master

Hi Paul,

You may find the selection of parts in Bachmann's parts store to be useful to you. While the models they were designed for are of more "modern prototypes," you may be able to fashion them into an older locomotive.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=752_751

pechristenson

OK there's a start.

I was targeting the 1850's Bloomer 2-2-2. Seems it and many 1850's British loco's are out of reach, based on what I've found. Does anyone have the go to resource for 1820 to 1850 loco's, for an in-depth dive? There has to be more then what I've found?

My knowledge is zilch, hence, is it my imagination, or do the likes of Dept56 and others fashion their xmas carol settings after American steam engines?
What has gone wrong, with my eyes...

Len

If you can find them, some of the Mantua loco chassis's are adaptable to On30 use without having to build a complete loco from scratch.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

The B&O Railroad museum has possible the largest collection of original or replica pre-Civil War American steam locomotives, with a smattering of other "Era 1" engines scattered at other museums around the country. The earliest date, btw, is more 1830s than 1820s in the US. The first locomotives here tended to be 0-4-0 with a 4-wheel "tender" for fuel and water. A 2-4-0 was the improved design for better tracking. I'm fairly certain that we had a 2-2-2, but I want to say that we're talking about single-digits for examples, and probably only one or two railroads. There were also 4-2-0 and 6-2-0 designs.

A 2-4-0 or 2-4-2 might be your best option for scratchbuilding, as you could use an HO 0-4-0 as a starting point. The search term "antebellum steam locomotives" might be helpful. There are a half-dozen or so books on early American steam locomotives, or early American railroads, that show up on eBay now and then. There are also several railroad museums with extensive archives where you might find photos, diagrams, or even preserved engines.

You are largely working outside of the normal range of modeling eras, but the upside to that is this was an era of unique designs, so let your imagination go wild. Also, don't be afraid to think outside the box. That era had 5' and 6' gauge railroads, so you could use a G-scale mechanism & track with an O-scale body for a wide-gauge railroad.

I hope some of this is of use to you. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Terry Toenges

Early steam books on Ebay. Seller has other railroad related books, also.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/116269435720
Feel like a Mogul.