HO heavy weight passenger car trucks side frames.

Started by Tenwheeler01, July 18, 2024, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenwheeler01

What are the newer Heavy weight and light weight passenger car truck side frames mad out of? 

I have 9 old spectrum heavy weights and most of them have an issue with the truck side frames having zinc rot.

I am very hesitant to purchase any of the newer Bachmann passenger cars.

Thank you.   

trainman203

At one time Walthers offered a variety of trucks appropriate to these cars.

I have four of the newer heavyweight cars, if you call new being acquired new in the last six years or so, And I've had no problem with the trucks.  Of course I haven't run them much lately so I need to look and see, but the trucks seemed fine last time they were out.  They are beautiful cars and if for any reason the Bach Man's trucks deteriorate, I'll have no qualms about replacing them with Walthers.

I just realized, the truck frames may be plastic.  I am out of town right now but when I get back home next week, I'll pull those cars out and check for you.

Tenwheeler01

I believe all the ones I have are 15+ years or older. And I think Bachmann may have fixed the issue by going with plastic side frames on the newer ones. I would just like to confirm it before buying any of the new ones. 

I have replaced two sets so far. But it's quite a bit of time and work to replace them.