News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC - DCC Ready Locomotives

Started by BIG Four, July 20, 2024, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG Four

Can I operate a dcc locomotive on a conventional dc track layout until such time I can upgrade to dcc controller power pak. Currently do not have any dcc and want to operate some new dcc ready locomotives while I am building a dcc layout.

Thank you

jward

First off. DCC ready means the locomotive does NOT have a decoder. It will have the motor isolated from the chassis but nothing else is guaranteed. SOme DCC ready locomotives have a socket where a decoder can be plugged in, but many will require a hard wired decoder.

DCC OnBoard, or DCC equipped means the locomotive has a decoder, and can be run as a DCC locomotive. Most of these locomotives come from the factory with a decoder that can run on either DC or DCC power. Many of us turn this feature off in our locomotives, so you may not be able to run a secondhand DCC locomotive on DC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Operation of DCC Locomotives on DC powered track can be done, but I've said it many times before here, it's like riding a bicycle backwards coast to coast.  It can be done, but it's very awkward and most of the DCC features can't be used.  You won't get the full enjoyment either until you have both at the same time.

BIG Four

Thank you both for your replies.

I am a 76 year old newbie who is getting enthused with this hobby. Currently Have a prototype layout and some older locomotives many of which do not work but nevertheless have helped me in future planning and layout possibilities. I believe the yard I am replicating ( its a legacy layout)  would be better if I went the DCC route in lieu of using and wiring for (2 cabinets).

Point of clarification: I am planning on maintaining and using the prototype while constructing the new layout and acquiring new locomotives. This will allow me and the grand kids something to run while I get a better understanding (education) of what is needed in the new layout.

I ultimately can see the possibility of running 3 or maybe 4 engines around this yard with a turntable.  I am Currently working with (2) cabinets to run the 2 engines individually. This approach seems to work well but with limitations in switching and utilizing the track and yard layout along with future accessories.(your thoughts?)

I am full of ideas but definitely a neophyte needing a  lot of mentoring. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks again!

BIG Four

J Ward:

If you would please reply, what do you mean when you said:  Many of us turn this feature off in our locomotives, so you may not be able to run a secondhand DCC locomotive on DC.
[/quote]

Thank you