News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC - DCC Ready Locomotives

Started by BIG Four, Today at 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG Four

Can I operate a dcc locomotive on a conventional dc track layout until such time I can upgrade to dcc controller power pak. Currently do not have any dcc and want to operate some new dcc ready locomotives while I am building a dcc layout.

Thank you

jward

First off. DCC ready means the locomotive does NOT have a decoder. It will have the motor isolated from the chassis but nothing else is guaranteed. SOme DCC ready locomotives have a socket where a decoder can be plugged in, but many will require a hard wired decoder.

DCC OnBoard, or DCC equipped means the locomotive has a decoder, and can be run as a DCC locomotive. Most of these locomotives come from the factory with a decoder that can run on either DC or DCC power. Many of us turn this feature off in our locomotives, so you may not be able to run a secondhand DCC locomotive on DC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Operation of DCC Locomotives on DC powered track can be done, but I've said it many times before here, it's like riding a bicycle backwards coast to coast.  It can be done, but it's very awkward and most of the DCC features can't be used.  You won't get the full enjoyment either until you have both at the same time.