News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Designing HO scale Delta track with DCC

Started by Ralph S, July 07, 2024, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

I was viewing U-Tube videos and came across one of the train shows had a Delta type track that went toward a reversing loop.

I decided to build that delta track with my EZ track.  See image of the track below. I also want to modify that single track delta by replacing it with a double track crossover (trying to save space).   After creating the delta track, I came across an issue with A rail and B rail convergence.  That is, the A and B rail would cross one another.  I therefore inserted two isolated frogs (plastic) at the track split located at the crossover track section.   The top end convergence track is non-isolated (metal) frog.

This is where I ran into an issue.  Where to install the reversing loop at the crossover? 

If I install the reversing loop on the crossover, it will affect the other track.   Question, should there be a gap in the crossing section?  In order that the other track not be affected.

Well, I'm asking this before I go cut a gap in a good crossover.   All the Delta track I'm aware of and instructions from the web only used a single track with reversing loop circuit for bottom of the delta.  I want to use the crossover in that bottom portion of the delta.     If you see or know of anything that I may have missed, please let me know.   I'm all ears at this point, before I mess up (cut a gap) a good crossover.     

trainman203

The correct railroader's term for this "delta" track arrangement is "wye."

jward

It would be best to leave the mainline tracks along and insert your gaps in the rails of the curved sections. That way, the entire "tail" of the wye will be your reversing section.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Agree with Jeffrey.  I had a hard time, figuring out what the OP was trying to say.

Ralph S

I stand corrected.   Thanks, having an electrical background instead of a railroad background I used what I normally would have used in working with 3 electrical loads (see image).

Therefore, I concluded that this "wye" track was a "delta" track (which looks very much like a delta network) instead of what railroaders have termed it.

Okay,
Quote...leave the mainline tracks alone and insert your gaps in the rails of the curved sections. That way, the entire "tail" of the wye will be your reversing section.
When you say "tail" you mean the upper portion (at the top of the image) of the wye.  This means I do not have to cut into any track, since I normally use track insulators (Atlas #55) since Bachmann only makes straight gaped track and does not make gapped track for a curve. 

As you can see in the (simplified) electrical diagram, it's not easy to visualize the railroader's "wye" as an electrical circuit compared to the electrical "delta" circuit.  The crossover is easily understandable.  Gapping the converging upper end of the "wye", i.e. delta does isolate the mainline and the crossover.  I'll have to use Bachmann 's Automatic Reversing Loop Module (44912) instead of using a simple relay at the crossover the due to the dual gaps and/or convergence track.

Hopefully, I'm not confusing the real railroaders.  I apologize for the incorrect OP (Opening Post) stating delta instead of wye.

jward

On the contrary. The wye in the electrical diagram is exactly what the isolated reversing section on your railroad should look like.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA