"Waddle" in tracking of 2-6-0 Eureka and Palisades.

Started by wagnera361, June 07, 2024, 10:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagnera361

is the "waddle" of the classic Eureka and Palisades 2-6-0 a feature? or an alignment issue. Since the true drive is a worm gear on the center line of the engine, the opportunity to induce "waddle" might arise from the valve gear or side rod lubrication (all checked), some imbalance of the wheel/side rod counterweights (unlikely), drive wheel misalignment? The waddle is synchronous with the wheel revolution. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Ned Wagner

veetwelve

With the information you've given, it sounds like a slightly bent drive axle.
Best of luck,
Jay

Greg Elmassian

are you talking back and forth side to side, like closer and further to a rail

or

waddling like a tipsy person tilting left and right as it goes down the track

or

basically turning left and right as it goes down a straight track?

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Fred2179

Quote from: wagnera361 on June 07, 2024, 10:40:59 AMThe waddle is synchronous with the wheel revolution.
If you look at how the wheels are secured to the axles, it is quite possible that one wheel is not perfectly at 90 deg to the axle. The nylon bush does allow a bit of latitude in the fitting.

Put the loco upside down [careful with that whistle casting - use a lump of styrofoam to support the cab roof,] and apply power. You will probably see one (or more!) wheel wobbling as it rotates. Grab a felt-tip pen and use it to mark where the wobble is greatest. (Hold it close to the wheel and let the wheel touch it as it wobbles.)

Once you figure out which wheel is wobbling, you can pop off the center screw cover in the middle of the wheel, and tighten the screw, or remove the screw and push the wheel into alignment, or just try to rock the wheel into alignment.

wagnera361

Thanks. I'm a cautious newbie, and will begin a cautious exploration. The waddle is a side to side oscillation in synch with wheel (piston) cycle. I've not run it on actual track yet (mine's only up at Christmas time) but have observed it on rolling rails.
Ned Wagner