News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrade Passenger Equipment

Started by Mikepcc, June 20, 2024, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikepcc

Recently, I acquired several pieces of older HO Bachmann Spectrum passenger equipment including locomotives and passenger cars. These are used. All are in good shape. All are working. And, all were still in original packaging. I am looking for recommendation on upgrading couplers, trucks and wheelsets. All are DC, and I will not be upgrading to DCC at this time. I have 1 Doodlebug, and 1 each F7A and F7B. Both powered. The are 2 observation cars, and 1 each of coach, diner and combine. These all have X2F couplers and plastic trucks and wheelsets. No interior lighting. These will operate on a modular club layout used for public displays. The club uses 30" curves, and # 6 turnouts. Any help in choosing better couplers, trucks and wheelsets would be appreciated.

Len

Are the passenger cars heavyweight or streamline? It makes a difference.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

These trucks should be adaptable to those cars:
https://www.walthers.com/heavyweight-6-wheel-passenger-trucks-type-2411-1-pair

You may find them available from other on-line retailers at lower prices.

If they are from the 1998 production run, Kadee #5 or #148 couplers should work. If not, use the Kadee #27.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Mikepcc

Many thanks for input. My fist summer project can now get underway.

trainman203

What's wrong with the plastic trucks?

Terry Toenges

I don't know if Walther's trucks can be mounted "as is". Are screw holes in the trucks the same or will something have to be changed.
If I was doing it, I would just go with metal wheel sets and not mess with changing the trucks
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203