News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yard boss set coupler issues

Started by Dragos, April 15, 2024, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragos

I just bought the yard boss set at hobby lobby over the weekend. The caboose will not couple together regardless of the way I put it on the track. I have to left the car up slide the couplers together and then set the wheels on the track. I have to do the reverse when I put the train away. So I'm not impressed with the quality of the couplers that came with the set and I'm having a hard time finding the right part number for the existing couplers so I can cross reference them with other brands to,look at what replacements are available that fit the loco and rolling stock.
Also can the loco be fitted with a DCC decoder in the future as that is what I want my layout to run with? It's no big deal if it can't but I can't seem to find much info on this loco.

bbmiroku

If it was any scale except N, I'd say visit the Kadee site.  The converter has basically anything you could have.  You might want to look for an N-scale track gauge tool from the NMRA. That should be able to tell you if the coupler is out of vertical gauge, which it sounds like it is. If that ends up being the problem you can either get rid of the coupler box and install a new one, or shim up the coupler in the box itself.

Unfortunately, The tender doesn't electrically connect to the engine. Most DCC for N-scale would go in the tender for the smaller engines like an 0-6-0. If you have some wiring experience you can try to DIY, or I'm sure you could get someone online to do it for a fee.