Future suggestions/predictions thread

Started by Chaz, July 15, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesometrain77

Okay here is a suggestion that we have needed in the range for a very long time
Spencer's brake coach
Now this MUST be based on model series as it needs to match the composite coach
Now Spencer's coaches in CGI would require a new tooling

I don't want Bachmann to use the LMS brake coach as that is not accurate to the show
The coach that Spencer's brake coach is something they make in the UK 

GWR collet coach Bachmann has the tooling please use it .

DustyMarie53!

Given the Duncan news I have two thoughts. Firstly, seems they're playing it much safer with the HO and Narrow Gauge line going forward. There comments regarding Harvey, D10, and Duncan risking lack of wide appeal makes me think they are unlikely to go forward with anything too complicated. Maybe it's just because of the pipeline being clogged up, maybe it's just because they'd rather prioritize N right now, maybe some combo of varying different reasons. I'm not sure. With that in mind I am fully expecting Whiff as the new mold announcement for 2025. He's the least intricate, most popular character they have left. He is the smartest pick I think if they're trying to play it safe. Rolling stock wise, only really want the G scale tanker liveries and a well wagon return at this point. Don't have any strong thoughts beyond those.  N scale predictions haven't changed, Edward all the way. Maybe a second new tool announcement like 2022 as well for the special anniversary year? My vote would be Mavis cause she'd be easier, but I'd also be fully behind Duck or Oliver

With Duncan's cancellation I do imagine we will get a Luke announcement next year. However, I hope they do wait until after Sir Handel has a solid shipping window to announce him. So at NMRA instead of spring catalog optimally.

Not really a changed thought, but if we don't get any new G scale engines announced next year I'll assume they've decided the g scale line isn't worth pursuing. Too costly for new engines, Diesel was cancelled before they realized they could use Paxton after all. I'd fully expect some recolors, however, if we get any instead of a new tool I think that tells me the line is likely to stay with the roster it has mold wise. I think Rosie would be the best candidate for an engine, however. Her two liveries means it's a 2 for 1 deal, and she has cross appeal with general modelers. S100's are in America and having one readily available in G scale, even a Thomasified one could do great sales wise.

That's really all my thoughts post the Duncan bombshell, and similar bombshells from previous streams. I'll be genuinely shocked if HO announces anyone but Whiff next year at this point, but I'd love to be wrong.
Hoping for bachmann Bradford, Charlie, Norman, Hiro, Nia, and Harvey

Coaltronn

I would love to suggest Duncan... for the future... Including any HOn30 engine not made yet.

TrainFan97

It may be another few years before Bachmann decides to give Duncan a second chance. To make up for his cancellation, they need to announce Luke as the next new tooling for HOn30 Scale. Hope Mattel lets Bachmann make repaints of existing toolings like Smudger and Proteus.

As for HO Scale, Hiro is very unlikely unless Rebecca sells well. So, the safest bet for the next new tooling is Whiff.

Here's my updated list of announcements 2025 should have:

HO Scale:
Whiff
Gold Thomas
Silver Percy (probably NMRA)
Bronze Diesel (probably NMRA)
Chocolate Syrup Tanker
Toffee Tanker
Well Wagon Reintroduction
Paint Drum Wagon Reintroduction
Gordon's Special Coach
Gordon's Special Brake Coach

Narrow Gauge:
Luke
Tan Box Van
Tan Brake Van

N Scale:
Edward
LBSC 70 Thomas
Origin James
Coal Wagon w/ Load
Red Open Wagon
Blue Open Wagon
BR Brake Van
Red Coach (probably NMRA)
Red Brake Coach (probably NMRA)

Large Scale (if anything):
Edward
LBSC 70 Thomas
Origin James

Edward has to be the next new tooling for N Scale without question, but if we were to get another new tooling alongside him, Mavis would be a good idea. She would recycle Thomas' chassis, like Toby did. Or, they can make N Scale Duck immediately following Edward.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

DustyMarie53!

In regard to G scale Edward, I do think he falls into the same territory as Duncan, Harvey, and Diesel 10. Something they know select fans will buy but lack the wide appeal. He'd be a pretty costly new tool and I'm unsure if they'd want to make him with that in mind. With that said Edward is a main so it could be different for him. I just don't personally see him happening anymore. I think his ship has unfortunately sailed. However, like those 3 I imagine they could change their mind someday. Already made my case for Rosie, but I imagine Mavis may also be a good candidate assuming she can reuse parts from Toby or Thomas. They aren't Edward, but they at least are fan favorite characters that can breathe life into the G scale lineup in the time being and could test the waters to see if launching Edward later would be viable. Depending on how well he does in N scale once that gets announced may also boost up their confidence. 

Chaz

I think Mavis would be the perfect choice for the next new large scale engine mold. She would only require a new body shell since the motor and chassis can be reused from Toby so it would be a real money saver on Bachmann's end as well. Frankly, I would've rather seen her over Diesel and Paxton but I understand why they opted to go that route.  Heck if Bachmann announced Mavis with Henrietta and Hannah and stuck to recolors for a good couple of years afterward with large scale, like they are now, then I don't think anyone would complain.

As for N scale, although I think Duck and Oliver are lot more likely than Mavis based on sales from their HO models and Toad's inclusion in the range, I would still fully support an N scale model of Mavis as well.  In terms of personal preference, I would rather see her over Oliver solely because I really like Mavis' CGI design a lot more than Oliver's.  She is a very close third for me in terms of my personal wishlist, right behind Edward and Duck.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

After N Scale gets Edward, the next engine will then have to be Duck, followed by Oliver. Once we get the Great Western duo in N Scale, we can then push for characters like Mavis, Spencer, Donald and Douglas. The Scottish twins could possibly recycle Duck's chassis, and I can see them being made once we get Duck and Oliver in N Scale. Mavis would be a great choice because she would be a diesel that isn't a Class 08, and she would recycle Thomas' chassis like Toby. With Henry on the horizon, and like him, Spencer can also recycle Gordon's chassis, and he should be the next BIG engine for the N Scale range.

Considering Bachmann has the tooling for Bradford, he could also be the next rolling stock to be exclusive to N Scale, which could also have Samson later on. If Bradford gets made, that would literally be his first ever piece of merchandise. Could Samson someday become the first engine for the N Scale range who doesn't already exist in HO Scale? He may not recycle Percy's chassis since he has bigger wheels than Percy. He might be made in HO Scale too at some point.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Coaltronn

I would love to see more HOn30 items for skarloey railway to engines to pull behind them.

Also for HO i would love to see other carnival alternatives like the flat wagon with circus materials as well as some of the animal wagons with topham circus signs or even some that look like the hornby models that were released in the past. It would appear that most of these are repaints and not necessarily new tooling.

harrison05

How would you all feel about a Bachmann Charlie down the line?

JLK2707

I strongly feel that Edward would be a simple modification of James since all that needs to be done is removing the belpair firebox, removing the extra splasher, and taking off one of the middle wheels and adding an extra driving wheel, along with adding extra boiler bands. James's tender would also require some mods added to it as well. This would make an excellent addition to Large Scale.

DustyMarie53!

Quote from: JLK2707 on October 11, 2024, 05:29:55 AMI strongly feel that Edward would be a simple modification of James since all that needs to be done is removing the belpair firebox, removing the extra splasher, and taking off one of the middle wheels and adding an extra driving wheel, along with adding extra boiler bands. James's tender would also require some mods added to it as well. This would make an excellent addition to Large Scale.

There isn't really anything simple about this modification. Firstly, Edward and James are different sizes in CGI so it'd be inaccurate. Secondly you can't simply modify the tooling like that. Most of those stuff is molded in, realistically it would require a new mold for all of it. Even the chassis would require a new mechanism cause of the different wheel configuration, and an entire new bogie set. It's just not a realistic approach to expect.

DustyMarie53!

Heljan just unveiled a new run of class 42 warships. You may be asking what this has to do with this topic. Well, this warship model just so happens to have holes on the middle of the roof to attach stuff if you desire. I do believe this is technically prototypical, but the obvious other purpose is evident to me this will make Diesel 10 customs way easier. I do think also this does sort of hurt Diesel 10's chances, maybe not fully because Heljan models are also pretty pricey but do think it's a good thing to be aware of for future speculation reasons.

Coaltronn

As a Thomas fan who is into model trains can we please make some expensive Bachmann Thomas models and not use it as an excuse. I have a job right? Like I spend money on things I want. If the price appears to be to expensive do a trial and build in some margins and let me spend 300 on an engine. Its annoying that the market assumption restricts what I would buy. Be upfront with your customers and if they understand and their is transparency I don't see the problem unless I'm am a huge minority. Or who knowns use kick starter. You have a Author in Brandon Sanderson selling expensive leatherbounds and has all the money baked into the kick starter. If it hits your goal great make a run of trains and cover your costs and make money. If it does not fund then dont do it.

DustyMarie53!

Don't disagree with that, but as they have gone on record they are trying to appeal to everyone. Not just the fans. This includes families, kids, general modelers, and a big worry is that more expensive toolings are a risk because they will distance those crowds. But I will admit, since model trains are batch based business anyway. They could simply do just one batch to test the waters, most model train products are like that. Albiet that may be a hard sell for anyone really really intricate to justify the manufacturing costs. I think at the present moment the best way to send a message that more expensive toolings will do well is to buy Rebecca. She is the most expensive HO engine so far. If she doesn't do well, it's unlikely we'll get more like her. She has tons of separately fitted parts as well. Doug Blaine has already said before she is a test for tender engines, but she could easily also be a test for more intricate engines with separately fitted details. Like let's say, an engine with a crane or a claw.

With that said. Bachmann has already actually done exactly what you are proposing. They had a diesel locomotive they let people place reservations on. It ultimately didn't pan out; it's mentioned elsewhere on the forum but the exact specifics escape me at the moment. I can provide a link to it if anyone is interested but you should be able to search for it yourself. That could be at least another way to get the likes of Hiro, D10, etc. into the running. Only thing is that might be complicated to do with Thomas cause of licensing, I don't know how you would get permission for that. But it's definitely a potential avenue worth pursuing

RailsByRick

The numbers certainly don't lie. That's why I feel pre-ordering is so important in this niche hobby. It helps gauge interest, and whether or not an item is worth the risk to the manufacturer. I can't help but feel that maybe a lack of pre-orders for Duncan helped Bachmann to decide that he ultimately was not worth the risk right now.