Future suggestions/predictions thread

Started by Chaz, July 15, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulfred100

I'm gonna say this and provide my reasons. Simply taking the already existing tooling and painting it in a RWS livery might sound good on paper but seriously look at the details of both ready available tooling and their RWS counter parts. There's so much detail that would be absent and it would just create a backlash from purists. We get it now because an diesel has closed windows or because something isn't 100%. The only engines I can see RWS recolours working for is the Skarloey gang and even that's a bit of a stretch. The TV and to a certain extent the CGI models are simplistic versions of what the RWS engines are. Take Toby, he's got more lamp irons, his face is smaller, he has the spark thing on his funnel, his windows are a different shape on the side, if you want to get really deep he has a face on both sides without the already imperfections in Toby. It's the same for the Scottish twins, pipe detailing is missing, depending on when they are being modelled off steps are missing (which both have on the running board frames in the early books) it might seem nitpicking but you need to think about that. Think of the market and what's out there. We've seen how amazing some RWS customs are and each year there's something new for them to make more accurate versions of engines because there's J50 trams on the market, because there's now Caledonian Railway 812 and 652 Classes on the market. Yes it would be amazing to have ready to run RWS engines. But do you want a good ready made RWS engine or do you want just something based off the tv series in RWS colours?  And even then basing something off the RWS someone's gonna be like "why are Bachmann modelling that of Spong's artwork, this artist is clearly better!"

TrainFan97

While it may sound like a good idea to have Donald and Douglas in their blue liveries, and Toby with blue side plates, but to make them exactly like they are in the RWS is a lot more than just a simple repaint. Personally, I'd much rather see characters like Smudger, Proteus, Splatter and Dodge get made, since although they only appeared in the model series, and do require new face molds, their toolings exist. Smudger would use Rheneas' tooling. Proteus would use Sir Handel's tooling (with an added headlamp). Splatter and Dodge would use the Class 08 tooling, most likely 'Arry and Bert's because they don't have stepladders. Splatter and Dodge could both use the same face as well.

Once we run out of options for CGI Narrow Gauge engines, Mattel will have to let Bachmann make more model series characters. I do hope we don't have to wait that long to get repaints of existing toolings like Smudger and Proteus.

I do wonder if Rheneas' tooling could also be used to make Dolgoch. Midlander would unfortunately require a new tooling because Midlander has greatly evolved from the form Rusty was based off of. Edward Thomas could possibly be made using Peter Sam's tooling. Sir Haydn could definitely be made using Sir Handel's tooling. As for Duncan, the Talyllyn Railway would want him to be as accurate to Douglas as possible, so that Douglas could even be made using Duncan's tooling. The fact that Sir Handel was made to be as accurate to Sir Haydn as possible gives hope that Duncan won't look too much like his infamous CGI render, but actually looking more accurate to Douglas.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

A blue Donald, Douglas and a chocolate and blue Toby would be just so cool for the 80th anniversary announcements, but would they use the same faces as current or would they use the Railway Series faces as drawn by Clive Spong?

Armada Starscream

I would be fine with the models and faces for Blue Donald and Douglas and Railway Series book Toby just being the same model shapes and faces, as only having to recolor the models would be a good incentive for Bachmann to release them, as they would be low cost to make. Otherwise, we might not get them at all.

I would also like to see Splatter and Dodge, as well as Smudger and Proteus, that would only require a new face be made (and a lamp for Proteus), as they already have their basis. ('Arry and Bert for Splatter and Dodge, Rheneas for Smudger, and Sir Handel for Proteus )

Chaz

Quote from: Mulfred100 on September 06, 2024, 10:35:36 AMI'm gonna say this and provide my reasons. Simply taking the already existing tooling and painting it in a RWS livery might sound good on paper but seriously look at the details of both ready available tooling and their RWS counter parts. There's so much detail that would be absent and it would just create a backlash from purists. We get it now because an diesel has closed windows or because something isn't 100%. The only engines I can see RWS recolours working for is the Skarloey gang and even that's a bit of a stretch. The TV and to a certain extent the CGI models are simplistic versions of what the RWS engines are. Take Toby, he's got more lamp irons, his face is smaller, he has the spark thing on his funnel, his windows are a different shape on the side, if you want to get really deep he has a face on both sides without the already imperfections in Toby. It's the same for the Scottish twins, pipe detailing is missing, depending on when they are being modelled off steps are missing (which both have on the running board frames in the early books) it might seem nitpicking but you need to think about that. Think of the market and what's out there. We've seen how amazing some RWS customs are and each year there's something new for them to make more accurate versions of engines because there's J50 trams on the market, because there's now Caledonian Railway 812 and 652 Classes on the market. Yes it would be amazing to have ready to run RWS engines. But do you want a good ready made RWS engine or do you want just something based off the tv series in RWS colours?  And even then basing something off the RWS someone's gonna be like "why are Bachmann modelling that of Spong's artwork, this artist is clearly better!"

I hate to be that guy, but it seems like this post just fell on a lot of Deaf ears...

Frankly, I feel like some of these railway series repaints that are being suggested don't really have a wide enough appeal to them.  Sure some older fans might like them but younger kids with parents aren't going to really know or really care about why Donald and Douglas are in blue or why Toby has blue sideplates.  Origin James only happened because it was something that appeared on screen and the LBSC Thomas and both of the James repaints worked because of that.  And again as Mulfred said, some older fans may take interest as well but most aren't going to bother when there's better options out there if you want something more accurate to the books/illustrations.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Edward and Duck.

Cheeky_ULP

If hypothetical RWS models were produced for a limited run in a small batch, I could see them working to some degree as a "novelty" collectors item, rather than something people would look at and expect to see as a legitimate RWS model, especially when it's just meant to be a quick, cheap repaint to celebrate an anniversary milestone for the franchise.

That said, I feel like Toby, Donald and Douglas' RWS appearances are a bit too 'niche' for a profitable anniversary model. If I were to suggest an 80th Anniversary Bachmann repaint, I would suggest an "NW Toy" Thomas livery, like what Wooden Railway did a few years ago:

I think some of the design choices and hue of Thomas' blue would make it distinctive enough from the LBSCR Thomas. If Bachmann feels it's too-soon to make right now though, since the LBSC Thomas just came out a few years ago, I could see them saving this for the brands 85th Anniversary.

harrison05

Quote from: TrainFan97 on September 06, 2024, 03:21:58 PMI do wonder if Rheneas' tooling could also be used to make Dolgoch.
I think we haven't gotten Dolgoch yet is they are waiting to see how Talyllyn and her various paint jobs sells first.

DustyMarie53!

I do think it is unlikely that they make an RWS Toby, Donald, Douglas, or Skarloey Engines for one simple reason. They probably don't have refs for those. We know most of their refs come from promos, actual ruler photos/CGI model ortho sheets, and existing toys. It is unlikely they would choose to make a design not directly in the reference material they are provided. Unless we find out someday that they are provided with scans from the books or the original paintings, I simply do not think these are in the cards. With that said, the original Thomas model proposed in this thread would be a good choice if they so choose. It's an existing toy they can directly reference and therefore much easier to color pick from. In theory they could also do the weird blue green Henry from TWR, but I don't think there would be much need for that specific variant. It's not accurate to the book illustration already and it'd be hard to really actually use on a model railroad.

I've made my stance on recolors clear before, I don't think many would be good ideas aside from other actual characters, Emily with her number, and a Silver Spencer. I don't think many people would be actually willing to buy crash variants, or green Salty, or what have you due to their hefty price tag. I'd say most of those RWS designs would be good exceptions but see my explanation above. However, I'd be willing to add 1945 Thomas to that list of good candidates as well. I think a livery based on that would be really cute and would be popular with fans. I don't think it's particularly likely, but I can get behind that
Hoping for bachmann Bradford , Charlie, Whiff, Hiro, and the tar tanker reintroduction

TrainFan97

The only reason Bachmann hasn't announced Dolgoch yet is because they're waiting to see how well the Talyllyn variants sell first. If they're big sellers, Bachmann could then make Dolgoch using Rheneas' tooling.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

So here's a random almost midnight thought I had the other night and I'm curious to know how you guys would feel about this.

So on the subject of Bachmann eventually running out of narrow gauge engine ideas (with the CGI mandate in mind), would you guys be happy if Bachmann announced Freddie as the next new narrow gauge engine because he would be based on the prop from the model era?  Or would you be annoyed or even disappointed that Bachmann would have completely glanced over Duke in favor of Freddie?  I asked a few friends this and the results were shockingly mixed but I'm curious to know what people on here think.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

It honestly wouldn't bother me just so long as we get them.

Armada Starscream

In regards to all the suggestions listed here, I think it is good to at least put the suggestions out there, to give Bachmann potential ideas that they would not have considered before, be they simple repaints of existing models, repaints of models combined with a new face to make another character, using or modifying an already existing tooling to make a character, or even a whole new mold completely. They may or may not make them, but if they don't know about them, then they definitely will not make them, so it is good to at least put the ideas out there.

And Bachmann has surprised us in the past. From what I heard, Bachmann recolored their Red Composite and Brake Coaches into the obscure Toby's Museum Composite and Brake Coaches after being inspired by a post on Twitter/X that was a photoshop by SodorRyModeler. And hey, maybe Bachmann might be inspired to make the suggested repaints of Donald, Douglas, Toby, 80 anniversary Thomas, Etc. if they saw fans recolor them using Bachmann's already existing models and faces.  ;D

I think it is at least good to get the ideas out there, and give Bachmann more ideas on what they can do for new products in the future. If it is never mentioned, chances are it may never happen, so let us at least put the suggestions on the table. You never know unless you try.

Quote from: Chaz on September 07, 2024, 09:06:16 PMSo here's a random almost midnight thought I had the other night and I'm curious to know how you guys would feel about this.

So on the subject of Bachmann eventually running out of narrow gauge engine ideas (with the CGI mandate in mind), would you guys be happy if Bachmann announced Freddie as the next new narrow gauge engine because he would be based on the prop from the model era?  Or would you be annoyed or even disappointed that Bachmann would have completely glanced over Duke in favor of Freddie?  I asked a few friends this and the results were shockingly mixed but I'm curious to know what people on here think.

I think I would be annoyed if Bachmann chose to make Freddie over Duke, but I think it would be fine if they release Freddie first, and after make a model of Duke also. I don't model Bachmann Thomas Narrow Gauge, so I don't know too much about that, I'm afraid.

DustyMarie53!

Quote from: Chaz on September 07, 2024, 09:06:16 PMSo here's a random almost midnight thought I had the other night and I'm curious to know how you guys would feel about this.

I'm torn. On one hand Duke completes the Awdry group so it'd probably be better to get him first. But they've also commented on how Duncan "completes the family" before and by nature of having a number Freddie would be required to complete that again. Mattel also really likes Freddie so that may boost his chances as well. But then again if we get the other 3 cgi guys wouldn't the need for Freddie to be next not really matter? With that said, he might be the way to go for the first model guy. Duke and Mighty Mac both have their basis already available in the scale, so they'd have a lot less appeal for general kit bashers unlike the rest of the line. I do not believe Freddie's basis has this option, so prioritizing him for the model only guys would also be a very smart move.
Hoping for bachmann Bradford , Charlie, Whiff, Hiro, and the tar tanker reintroduction

JLK2707

Speaking of anniversaries, it was pretty cool how Bachmann announced Donald, Douglas and Diesel to mark the 100th anniversary of Wilbert V Awdry's birth.

Mulfred100

I think the classic series fan inside me would love Duke to be made first however I know the appeal of Freddie is very board and he is alot more relevant Merchandise wise. So I'd be OK with either arriving into the range as while I prefer Duke personally I know Freddie will sell giving Bachmann confidence to take a chance and make Duke. I also think going back to my idea regarding Stephen that Millie would be a great introduction into the range and would make the castle estate gang more complete. She's had quite a bit of Merchandise over the years but sadly seems to introduced just before a rebrand with that Merchandise line so it'll be nice to have a consistent and stable Bachmann make her