Future suggestions/predictions thread

Started by Chaz, July 15, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrison05

I'm gonna throw a little theory out there, I think we might get a model series character in the next few years. Lets be real Bachmann is running out of CGI characters. There's is tons of model series characters we haven't gotten yet. So I think Bachmann might make one for a trial to see if there a market for making model series characters. I know they are worried kids won't know the characters but I work in a the school trust me the kids know the characters I was speaking to some kids other day about BoCo, Stepney and one of the kids favourite characters is Duke.

Mulfred100

So I have a few theories and ideas of what could be next from Bachmann and there is evidence there to support them and I feel these would really benefit the range rather then more class 08 recolours like Fanado. I'm glad we are getting what we are with Sindey and Mainland diesel but that's plenty for me. These may seem strange on the surface however there's cases to be made for each and tbh I never hear anyone talking about these
Firstly Stephen

Now Stephen is pretty iconic within the Brenner era of the show. He's a CGI character based off the legendary Stephenson's Rocket. He is a very unique design and there is a gap in the market for a tooling of the rocket in HO that won't cost the earth, thus opening up the possibility people will buy Stephen even if they aren't a Thomas fan to customise him or to make him look like the real thing. Similar to Skarloey and the 009 engines. Bachmann are already making the open blue coach so technically he already has one piece of his rolling stock being worked on.

Maybe even they could make a red version of the blue open coach with a Santa figure for a Christmas set

There's only his other coach that would need making and I'm sure Bachmann could make that in 2025 or 2026. Adding Stephen also adds more possibility for Millie, Sir Robert and Glynn further down the line.

My next one I'd like to talk about is Skiff

Now Skiff was introduced in Sodor's legend of the lost treasure along with Ryan. He's a very simple railboat who I'm sure would be a massive hit. He is very unique and extremely versatile in that if his base was removable you could have him either in water or on land. He's that perfect bridge between rolling stock and non rail characters. He wouldn't require couplings as he is never pulled by an engine nor is he ever seen pulling anything behind him. Ryan and Daisy are already in the range, along with Oliver and Duck so he has characters he can be paired with at fairs and trainshows.  He's also appears in all engines go so he still has a very broad appeal and lastly like Stephen if there was a figure of Sailor John made he'd look fantastic riding inside Skiff or even if Bachmann made a figure of his new Owner Captain Joe.

My last prediction is for an N scale item.
Bradford

Now my reasoning for this is very simple. Bachmann just introduced the LMS 20 ton Breakvan which is Bradfords basis. It makes sense to utilise the tooling and make Bradford. He sadly is a CGI character with 0 merchandise so if Bachmann made him in N scale I'm sure fans would be thrilled. The tooling is there so why not use it. If Bachmann can make Hannah I see no reason why Bradford can't be made too and this will give the N scale range more of its own identity having things that HO and Large scale don't have which isn't a bad thing. I was blown away by Hannah not only being announce but her painted sample is out there ready to be shown. Lastly for Bradford if he is made I'm sure Bachmann can utilise Percy's chassis and make Samson in N scale in the future. These are just alternatives and my thoughts. Thank you for reading.

RailsByRick

Love these ideas, Mulfred100. I've been a proponent for Skiff for a while now, seeing as we already have Ryan, Daisy, Duck, and Oliver. He would pair great with the upcoming figures.

The figures would also be great for Stephen's crew, Glynn's crew, and passengers for the blue open coach.

I really hope these characters become a reality!

TrainFan97

Bachmann needs to start selling their Christmas rolling stock separately, like the 1-Plank Wagon with Christmas Presents, the Naughty and Nice Brake Van, as well as the red Christmas Brake Van. The Open Carriage tooling can be used to make one in red with a Santa figure. All of this could make a nice Christmas train to run under your tree. The fact that the Christmas Wreath 12-Ton Van is separate is a start.

Bachmann can easily make Bradford in N Scale using the LMS Brake Van tooling. That would also literally be Bradford's first ever piece of merchandise, and he would be another rolling stock character that's exclusive to the N Scale range. While Edward is the #1 priority for the next N Scale engine, Samson could be a possibility in the coming years, and he can recycle Percy's chassis. Could Samson be the first engine in the N Scale range that doesn't already exist in HO Scale? We'd rather have N Scale Duck and Oliver, considering we have Toad, and once N Scale Edward is announced, demand for Duck and Oliver will be much higher. We would also eventually need N Scale Donald and Douglas, and Spencer can be the next big engine for the N Scale range to recycle Gordon's chassis.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

I think Mattel just needs to drop the CGI only mandate since Bachmann is running out of characters. It is too restrictive.

harrison05

Quote from: JLK2707 on August 22, 2024, 01:22:20 AMI think Mattel just needs to drop the CGI only mandate since Bachmann is running out of characters. It is too restrictive.
There's tons more characters we could get if Bachmann drop the mandate also means the line will keep running for years to come.

JLK2707

Don't you mean Mattel harrison05?

Mulfred100

Quote from: JLK2707 on August 22, 2024, 01:22:20 AMI think Mattel just needs to drop the CGI only mandate since Bachmann is running out of characters. It is too restrictive.
I mean there's less classic series characters then CGI. I can reel off about 25-30 from the top of my head who are CGI characters Bachmann hasn't done without engines like Whiff and Harvey. But sure, they ate running out of CGI Characters. Only Hiro, Victor, Charlie, Scruff, logging locos, Belle, Norman, Luke, Stafford, Winston, Stephen, Connor, Caitlin, Millie, Porter, Gator, Timothy, Marion, Samson, Philip, Flying Scottsman, Glynn, the journey beyond sodor newbies, Nia, all the international engines who I can't remember their names and I'm too lazy too google. That's just off the top of my head without using the wikia. I don't agree with the mandate but to say they are "running out of characters" is factual wrong. Bachmann make the most of what they can do and let's be real they succeed otherwise we'd have lost interest a very long time ago.

DustyMarie53!

The fact we're getting something like Mainland Diesel is pretty telling, I think. If they're stuck with this mandate than they're going to do their best with it. I haven't really considered this option before this point, but I've mentioned before I'm a collector of every vehicle character in the show. I think Bachmann could genuinely jump on a market by making characters without any merch period. The slippies, Fernando, Bradford, Brenda, Ruth in a figure pack and a Cleo accessory (well, Cleo probably wouldn't be liked but I digress) are some easy ones. Mainland Diesel is a first and got people talking about how out of nowhere of a pick it is, and how it's his first merch ever. More characters that are either out of left field, never have had merch before, or both could be a good thing to capitalize on. Heck Beau is proof it works. He was a pretty big preorder. As much as I don't like them someone like Marcio and Marcia could hit a similar niche (Although I feel like they'd be risker by nature of not only being tender engines but also twins) They're not out of options, maybe out of safer options, but even most of the model series guys have about the same levels of risk to them if the rules are lifted. I want the mandate to be lifted, really want Stepney, Murdoch, Arthur, and Molly. But they certainly are not out of options currently.
Hoping for bachmann Bradford , Charlie, Whiff, Hiro, and the tar tanker reintroduction

Cheeky_ULP

Mattel needs to realize that just because a character is old and hasn't been in the show for years does not mean that they are irrelevant as a product. Kids these days have access to the classic episodes on YouTube and other streaming services easily, nevermind all the fan videos that include older characters. It's an irrelevant point in a hobby that's nostalgia driven.

That said, I also suspect that the CGI mandate is because it's easier to make a CAD for an engine that has existing CGI files to follow, rather than trying to guess the proportions based on old prop reference photos.

harrison05

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on August 22, 2024, 11:18:13 PMMattel needs to realize that just because a character is old and hasn't been in the show for years does not mean that they are irrelevant as a product. Kids these days have access to the classic episodes on YouTube and other streaming services easily, nevermind all the fan videos that include older characters.
The kids know the characters, Mattel think the kids are dumb and won't know old Thomas characters. Just because a character hasn't appeared for years doesn't mean the kids who watch the show won't know them.

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Chaz on August 15, 2024, 01:36:51 PMWelcome back Falcon the Second!  I always enjoyed reading your posts and I'm really glad to see you back on the forum again.

Thanks, Chaz! I have to admit it feels nice to comment on here again.

So to address the CGI mandate, it's worth saying as a casual fan that it's an unfair and especially illogical move to make in what is a nostalgia-driven hobby, as Cheeky-ULP pointed out. While the CGI seasons do have a good amount of characters and variants to produce, it still feels limiting when you're taking content from only half of a 24 seasons-long show into consideration for future product ideas. Also, if anyone happens to have a preference for any pre-CGI season(s), it only gets more limiting from there. To provide an example, the first 5 seasons and Magic Railroad are my personal preference for characters, but you'd only have Trevor, Butch and Diesel 10 to choose since they're among the last remaining characters from those productions who also appeared in CGI. If this mandate were ever lifted in the foreseeable future, I'd love to own a model of Stepney, Boco or Duke should any of them be announced and produced. The wait for them is evidently starting to get too long for most people's liking.

I get that Mattel has been wanting to disassociate themselves with the show's model-based generations for multiple years now, but it's only caused themselves and their partners more harm than good in the long term. It doesn't make much sense to keep running away from your own franchise's origins or big break. And in a day and age where most merchandise companies are taking less and less risks with character rosters, it's important for Mattel to understand that a good chunk of the pre-CGI cast still maintains some level of relevance and demand in the Bachmann community, and that the company deserves a little more flexibility with product choices. Despite their lack of recent appearances or digital model sheets, these characters would still be popular among casual and dedicated fans alike. If any one of the "big three" classic requests were considered, I duly hope their end result would be worthwhile for the fact that we've all been waiting for them for so long. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

DustyMarie53!

I still suspect a big reason the mandate exists is because of AEG. Mandating that the licensors stick to a main style of CGI for new things from one era outside of AEG helps prevent brand confusion. Mattel still pushes CGI and AEG simultaneously, and this mandate seems to have come about in a more recent negotiation in 2022. It also seems to be universal, as I've mentioned before Capsule Plarail has moved away from their goals of making everyone to making every CGI character. My hope would be once AEG is over and done with, so by 2026 ideally, Mattel would be more willing to lighten this restriction, and Bachmann could make the big 3 requests and then go back to CGI. Which frankly imagine they would anyway, as Cheeky said it's easier to use CAD files. But I think the big 3 (Stepney, BoCo, and Duke if that was not obvious) would be worth the exception for Bachmann in the long run.

With this said, if I am right, I do think trying to prevent brand confusion this way is silly since the model series is still released on select tv channels, streaming, and the official Youtube channel. One of the main thumbnails I see pop up has Stepney even. Not even counting the fact the real Stepney has his face on right now. Feel like that brand confusion would exist regardless of what Bachmann are allowed to do or not. 
Hoping for bachmann Bradford , Charlie, Whiff, Hiro, and the tar tanker reintroduction

Mulfred100

Tbh I know I'm one of the few people who are less against the mandate and I know Bachmann as a company care about us fans and genuinely listen and keep us modeling. I've said it before but I'll say it again it's been 15 years this year for Hero of the rails and the CGI switch 11 since King of the railway and what we know as the Brenner era. We can continue to point out "but YouTube, but we want" they know! Let's make the most of what we can do and trust Bachmann and Doug. I mean 2015 we were completely shocked by Skarloey, then N scale, The iconic summer announcements of Peter Sam and Daisy, HO scaled figures, the beautiful resin building (rip) Besides we've still got a nice little pool of CGI Characters that are liked by fans. Hiro, Stephen, Porter etc.