News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

The running gear of the first electric locomotives were an evolution of the steam locomotives, just with an electric motor replacing all the steam generation equipment.

bbmiroku

It's always nice to see pictures of our British cousins-on-rails.

ebtnut

Re:  855, the Best Friend was notable as the first all U.S.-built steam loco in service.  It was also the first U.S. steam loco to suffer a boiler explosion six months after it went into service.  Reputedly, the fireman got annoyed with the constant noise of the safety valve and shut it off.  He did not survive the explosion.  The modern replica was built in 1928 to commemorate the centenary of the company. 

No. 857 shows the working guts of the Pennsylvania RR's DD-1.  The locos were a paired set of 4-4-0's and used with the opening of the electrified portion between Manhattan Transfer, NJ and Penn Station.  IIRC, there is a representative in the museum in Strasburg. 

Terry Toenges

That DD1 is a new one to me. I hadn't seen one like before.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Looks like multi system engines.
Side pickups and very small pantographs on top.

Ton

bbmiroku

The parts of the Pennsylvania RR that were electrified, were electrified in different stages in different ways.  Some was third rail and some was overhead.  Urban street-level track would've been overhead, while the inter-suburbs lines and subways would probably be third rail    Both were massively deadly to the touch (DC), and I believe were mostly converted to AC near the end.

RAM

The dd1s were built starting in 1910. Most of them were replaced by the L5s in 1924 and they were sent to the Long Island.  in 1930 Penn rr change to AC.  the remaining DD!s were either send to the Long Island or scrapped.  Long Island units were scrapped 1949-1951.  Unit 3936-3937 is in the Penn. rr museum.  The pams were only used at slow speed in the yards or stations.

Trainman203

#852 is an ATSF compound engine, with certainly one of the very last oil headlights, converted to electricity as per the turbogenerator in front of the cab.  The blue Pennsylvania power and light engine is the biggest fireless cooker I've ever seen.

rich1998

Winans Camel.
I bashed one of these in HO about ten years ago using a MDC 2-8-0. I did the short furnace. They were bult in short, medium, long furnace. '
Over size but captured the flavor. 51 inch drivers instead of 43 inch drivers. Used an article from MR or RMC. Cab from styrene.
Headlight side saddle. Saw a couple pictures in White's book on locos many years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/yx8z2mt2

I have seen a similar Camel at the B&O museum in Baltimore. No Winans were ever preserved. A few were converted to 2-6-0's. B&O took apart the last one around the late 1890's. It chugged in the yard for many years. The photo is online. The B&O is supposed to have had almost two hundred and built in the middle 1850's.

Rich

Trainman203

This is a great thread.  Lots of interesting oddball engines never knew existed.