News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD GP35

Started by rebelsteve, August 17, 2015, 01:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebelsteve

Hi,

I have  the above loco a 6 axle version, it constantly comes off the rails at one bend and turnout, where as all over locos do not.
Bend radius ok,
Speed does not matter, even almost stop still derails.
The front bogie seems to leave the rail with the leading wheels going.
Only thing i can think of is the depth of the guide rim.
Any suggestions?

jbrock27

Are you perhaps referring to a SD35?  They have 6 axles, a GP35 has 4.
What radius curves are you using?
Have a NMRA track/wheel gauge?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

is this loco by chance an old atlas sd35 in the yellow box? those often had a problem where the wheel rim would separate from the plastic hub, and cock, resulting in a wheel that wobbled in and out of guage. this made them very picky on even properly laid track. I don't know if you can still get parts for these, but this same locomotive was re-released by con cor in the 1990s with much improved wheelsets. I would try con cor to see if they still have parts for their version, which would fit the older atlas version as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on August 17, 2015, 07:58:41 AM
...an old atlas sd35 in the yellow box...this same locomotive was re-released by con cor in the 1990s with much improved wheelsets.

Just about represents the only improvement.  I know you have also said the gearbox was an improvement as well, preventing hangups on Kadee uncoupling magnets.  The only one I have come across who put the ConCor models above their Atlas bretheren.
Keep Calm and Carry On