News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

locomotive not working

Started by bhepp1285, December 26, 2014, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhepp1285

hey everyone,

so i received a dcc equipped ho scale steam locomotive for christmas.  the package said that it would work on a dcc layout of a conventional dc layout.  my layout is currently dc powered.  i put the locomotive on the track and it went well for a few second but now it goes really slow and stalls everyone couples inches.

did i ruin this thing already?  hope not since it was kinda expensive.

thanks

bapguy

Clean your track. DCC locos don't work well on dirty track. Is it sound equipped ? Also check the wipers on the tender trucks to make sure there is good contact between the wiper and axle.  Joe

ACY

Was it purchased from a flea market or train show or ebay, or from an actual hobby shop?
It is possible someone changed some CVs if it had a previous owner and wasn't sealed in the cellophane-wrapping.

jward

any dcc equipped locomotive will run slowly on dc, unless the analog conversion feature has been disabled. this is because the electronics in the decoder will drop about 5 volts before the motor will start turning. in effect, your top speed will be about half of what it should be.

since you didn't mention sound, the advantage of having a decoder on a dc layout is nil. look in the box for a dummy plug, if your locomotive has a socket that the decoder plugs into, then there is often a dummy plug that you can plug into the socket in place of the decoder, that will eliminate the voltage drop of the decoder and restore full operating characteristics on dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bhepp1285

Thanks for the advice guys.  This loco  was purchased in store  and doesn't have sound just lights and and working smokestack.  I am just learning about dcc and plan on redoing this layout in dcc or starting from scratch with a new layout.  Thanks again I appreciate it

Brian