News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Please help me with lighting

Started by ihenix, December 08, 2014, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihenix

Electrical novice here so please bear with me and use layman terms.  I bought 14 of these lights on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151190332123?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I connected them to my accessory 16v ac connection on my Bachmann DC controller.  All the lights come on for about 7 seconds and then go off.  I then have to wait a few minutes before I can turn them back on for another 7 seconds.  It's like they are overheating or pulling to much power.  I really need help.

Thanks

Doneldon

ih-

The eBay listing says these are 6v lights which can be used on 12v or 16v systems. My guess is that there are some resistors to cut the current down to ~6v or a circuit breaker which is heating up due to the overvoltage. Try feeding your lights just 6v or maybe 9v and see what happens. You may very well have an old wall wart from a shaver, cell phone or other electronic device which will put out an appropriate voltage.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress.
                                                                                      -- D

ihenix

Hi  --D

Thanks for your advice. I attached them to a 9v power supply and that worked except the lights are not as bright.  Should I try a 12v or would that cause a problem.

electrical whiz kid

those OLD "WAL FARTS" will usually have, somewhere on the body, the nomenclature; voltage, volts type, current or wattage, etc.   Print is also usually very small, so read it carefully.
Rich .

ihenix

Rich

Anything in particular that I should be looking out for that may cause a problem?