News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann turnout voltage

Started by rookie123, February 21, 2014, 12:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie123

after reading some of the topic here, I'm not sure what voltage should be used on the Bachman turnouts. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Rookie

richg

Twin coil machines use DC or AC. 12 to 16 volts.
Some hold down the switch too long and can burn out the coil if the turnout hangs up. Does not happen much but a pain when the turnout is not easily accessible.

A Circuitron Snapper is the best. It sends a DC voltage to the coil in an instant with no danger of burning out the coil. It can operate a yard ladder.

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/ins/800-5303ins.pdf

Rich

rookie123

Rich, I have my four turnouts connected to the 16v transformer and it seems to work OK. You say 12 to 16v. Is one better than the other?

Rookie

richg

Quote from: rookie123 on February 21, 2014, 04:24:23 PM
Rich, I have my four turnouts connected to the 16v transformer and it seems to work OK. You say 12 to 16v. Is one better than the other?

Rookie

If it works for you, don't try to try fix it. That is quite normal.
Look at your question. It almost sounds like you had not tried this yet. I suggested the Snapper as an alternative.
Many years ago some would burn out coils by holding down the switch too long so the capacitive discharge system was developed by those with electronic abilities. Simply a large electrolytic capacitor and a resistor. A company developed the Snapper which can operate off of DC or AC. A little more versatile.

Rich