Adding sound to Ma & PA #6 W/Steel Cab - Richmond Modern 4-4-0 - DCC

Started by Melr928, November 19, 2013, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melr928

Can anyone tell me what decoder I should use to add sound to Bachmann Ma & PA #6 W/Steel Cab - Richmond Modern 4-4-0 - DCC.
Thanks
MelR

richg

I used a SoundTraxx Micro, TSU750 and 28 mm speaker. Rip out the PC board and hardwire. Use a 1k, 1/4 watt resistor for the LED. Follow the instructions that come with the decoder. Piece of cake if you understand DCC.
Same with the Bachmann Spectrum small driver 4-6-0. About the same size tender.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Rich

Melr928

Thanks Rich. I will have to do some reseach before I attempt, but I think you have sent me in the right direction. Thanks again.

richg

I used a very thin layer of bath caulk to make sure the speaker was sealed against the tender frame.
The tender shell fits fairly tight against the frame. I found the sound to be decent. After all, this is 1/87 scale.
Used the smallest shrink tube for the soldered wire splices.

The first time I cut the wires from the loco connectors a little to short and had to buy a new set.

The wires are not the NMRA colors. A Bad by Bachmann.

The two going to the loco are power from the drivers.

The four wires, two for motor and two for lights. Don't remember which.

One truck picks up one one side, the other truck, the opposite side. That has caused shorting issues after an install. Some tenders, the trucks can swivel 180 degrees and cause a short. Don't remember for this loco.

Be careful and watch closely. The PC board should identify the functions.

Make careful notes. Use the program track option on your controller in case there is a wiring mix up.

Rich