News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best Books or mag's for dcc

Started by RonGP7, January 22, 2013, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonGP7

Hi looking to do some decoder install's. On Ho scale loco's steam and diesel's. Anyone know a good Mag or book  to get that has a lot of step by step with pictures. Have 2 steam loco's that run good in DC and 2 Diesels that also run good. thanks for any help. Ron

PS they are older loco's all from around 1980

richg

There is no best book that I know of. There are far to many variables involved, especially when it comes to the age of locos you have.
For starters, measure the current at 12 vdc. Most decoders are 1 amp though a few are good for 1.5 amps but this could be changing as the hobby evolves.
What kind of room inside the loco?

With DC, two wires to run the loco. For DCC, a minimum of seven wires to run the loco which includes three wires for lights. Two for pickups, two for the motor.

Some non sound decoders can fit inside the loco, some only the tender.

Some decoders for diesels are lightboard type.
Some wrapped in a shrink wrap for steamers or diesels.
Some suddenly realize they can install sound. Requires a larger size decoder and speaker.
The two motor terminals need to be isolated from the frame. Some locos this is not easy as part of the motor frame is connected to the motor brush.

You are better of  say what the loco is and maybe post a photo. Those are quite old when it comes to DCC.
No idea of your level of electrical experience or soldering experience which I am quite sure you will need.
It will not be plug and play.

Rich

richg

I forgot to mention, I have no books on DCC installs. All the DCC info I have came either off the Internet from searches or the documents that came with the decoders and Bachmann DCC ready locos.
I used that knowledge for my pre-DCC locos.
A few months research before attempting any pre-DCC ready loco installs.

Rich

jward

for specific applications of decoders, you need to go to the decoder manufacturers web sites, or those of dcc dealers. there is very little specific info in print.

the best dcc book i've come across is the "digitrax big book of dcc" which does a good job of explaining how dcc works and what it can do, without being so dumbed down or overly technical as to be useless.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA