News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 break-in

Started by stv9000, November 02, 2012, 11:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stv9000

I have a 4-8-4 that runs like a silent movie. I just bought a  2-8-4 that growls. Plenty of grease in the gears. It is louder in reverse. The drive train (gearing) on the Berkshire seams sloppy. with the shell off you can see the motor turning quite a bit before it takes up the slop in the gears. is this normal? I don't remember having to break in the Niagara. Anyone with experience with the Berkshire have this problem?
Thanks.

jonathan

stv,

My berkshire did not have this problem.  However, I have had a couple of Bachmann steamers that displayed a slight growling when new.

Occasionally, the builders in China let Arnold Schwarzenegger (sp) build a steam locomotive.  He tends to cinch down the wheel cover plate too tight.  This causes the plate to deform onto the main drive gear, slowing it down and causing a slight noise.  Try backing out the three screws on the bottom wheel cover plate... perhaps an eighth to a quarter turn.

Also, check the bronze pick up brushes on the backs of the drive wheels.  The berk has the flimsy kind that can get mishaped easily.  I had to adjust those brushes on my Berk.

May not be what's ailing yours, but it's something to check, before going down the warranty path.

Regards,

Jonathan

stv9000

Thanks jonathan.
I did have that cover plate off to check things out. I do know what you mean about the pick up brushes. I think on one wheel set they are pushing it to one side so I will reshape them to even it out a bit.