News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need info on train engine power

Started by MSflash05, October 29, 2012, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSflash05

I have a rather large village and want to run a rather large train up to 12 cars.  Is there any suggestions about where I can find information about how much HP a train has?  Is a diesel loco better than a steam version?  The current units I have seem to drag when I put that much behind them.  Also want to perhaps climb an incline up to 3 inches over 12 feet, so I know I would have a problem with my current units.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

jward

3" rise over 12 feet (144") is about a 2% grade. most locomotives should be able to pull 12 free rolling cars up that grade. that said, if you are running diesels, you can always add another unit. examples would be an emd ft a and b combo, or similar configurations with the alco fA2-fb2, or the baldwin sharks. paired combos of most diesels would work.

another possibility is to reduce the drag in your cars by making them more free rolling. micro mark sells a truck tuner which can make your cars roll easier.

keep in mond i said most locomotives should pull 12 cars on this grade. smaller locomotives like a ge 44 ton or a 4-4-0 steamer can't be expected to pull that many cars up the grade. the real ones couldn't either.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jettrainfan

A Bachmann 4-8-4 should be able to get the job done, mine pulled 20 cars at 60 percent throttle, slipped a bit, but this was a 2% helix, over 12 feet of track to climb. It will pull 12 cars easily. A 2-8-0 can do the same. an 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and 4-4-0 will pull 12 cars, but not up an incline, especially the 4-4-0. Hope this helps steam wise!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

MSflash05

Thanks for the info.  That does help me make a decision.

I currently have Pennsylvania 2-6-0 #3233.  It had a hard time pulling more than 8 cars.  Also have a Hogwarts Express 4-6-0 but really want to save it for collectability reasons.

Guess I see a new loco in my future.  Now I know which way to lean.  Guess if I want to climb I better get a diesel dual loco unit to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

sd24b

Quote from: MSflash05 on October 29, 2012, 12:14:27 PM
I have a rather large village and want to run a rather large train up to 12 cars.  Is there any suggestions about where I can find information about how much HP a train has?  Is a diesel loco better than a steam version?  The current units I have seem to drag when I put that much behind them.  Also want to perhaps climb an incline up to 3 inches over 12 feet, so I know I would have a problem with my current units.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
with diesels make sure all axles are powered.  I have a Bachmann SF northern and I don't think it will pull 12 cars up a 3% grade.  However, all of my road units will.    Phil

Doneldon

flash-

You can easily find both diesel and steam locomotives which will pull your proposed consists up what is a moderate grade
in HO at approximately 2.1%, although a similarly steep hill would present a significant challenge to a twelve-inches-to-the-
foot railroad. Your decision about which to use should consequently be made on the basis of the time and place you wish
to depict in your railroad. That could be anything from the 1860s to the present time. (Yes, there were railroads 30 years
before that but they didn't run trains as long as a dozen cars.) You can choose to model a specific real railroad or make
one up to your own ideas of what a railroad should look like. You can try to represent a real track arrangement or, as
most model rails do, work out a track plan which suits both your interests and the available space. Sometimes you can
integrate some aspects of a real railroad into your fantasy lne.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck! And welcome to model railroading. I hope you find it to be as engaging and
diverse in its activities as I have over the past nearly 60 years.

-- D