More progress on the new Great Eastern Railway

Started by rogertra, August 10, 2012, 12:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Here's today's results. The track with the diamond crossing and associated switches and spurs were built over the past three days. The industrial spur leading to the yellow and brown structure services three industries located along an almost six foot long spur. Next over is the Ramp Track and next to that Team Track and then the previously built yard ladder track. Just visible in the distance, diverging to the right of the main, are the two tracks that will serve as a coach yard for the commuter cars, once we get into that part of the operation.

The tracks leading towards the camera are shown in the photos below.

Looking back, we see the curving lead that serves the grey building and one more beyond that. The track to the right and leading back to the camera, from the locomotive switching the industry, is not permanently placed and won't be until the buildings it will serve have been built. The track the locomotive is standing on is a sharp 18" radius curve and will be limited to 40 foot cars and 0-6-0 switchers.

Here is a closer view of the grey building with the 60 degree diamond crossing under the tender and boxcar. The track not connected to the switch and just laying on the benchwork will eventually be down the centre of a street and will serve as a switchback for the wye switch just seen to the right. This is a typical prototypical design as it means the switcher will not have to move any cars sitting on the grey industrial tracks to switch the industries shown above.  The track the tankers are standing on will eventually serve a fuel distributor and a lumber yard.

Doneldon

Roger-

Looks good to me! Congratulations on your excellent track design and modeling skills.

-- D

CNE Runner

Excellent Roger...I see lots of operational opportunities with your design. Please keep us informed (with pictures if possible) on your progress.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Great progress, Roger.  Thanks for sharing.

Hey, be careful on those overhead shots!  None of us are getting any younger, you know!  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on August 10, 2012, 09:54:59 AM
Great progress, Roger.  Thanks for sharing.

Hey, be careful on those overhead shots!  None of us are getting any younger, you know!  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

I work on theatre and arena shows Jonathan.  Walking on a 12 inch wide beam 90 feet above the arena floor is old hat.  A five foot step ladder is a piece of cake.  Don't even need a fall arrest.  :)

Jhanecker2

rogertra: What kind of track are you using?   I am curious about the color of the rails , on my monitor they appear to be almost brass like by the color . Is this intentional  or just an artifact of the lighting ?  Nice work regardless and thanks for sharing .  J2

rogertra

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on August 11, 2012, 08:22:42 AM
rogertra: What kind of track are you using?   I am curious about the color of the rails , on my monitor they appear to be almost brass like by the color . Is this intentional  or just an artifact of the lighting ?  Nice work regardless and thanks for sharing .  J2
[/quote

Must be a trick of the light.  It's Atlas code 83 flex track.

I handlaid all my previous track but this time I decided to use flex track for speed.