News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connecting two loop tracks.

Started by suddo, May 30, 2012, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suddo

So I have a customer who wants to create a outer loop to surround his 18 inch radius loop. I suggested a 22 inch radius loop, but I ran into a problem selecting which turnouts to get. I want to say that the standard remote turnouts (#44561) are appropriate but I don't want to be an inch off and have to order new turnouts for him.

So my question is: What are the best turnouts to link a 18 inch radius, inner, loop to a 22 inch radius, outer, loop?

Thanks for any assistance on the problem.

Doneldon

suddo-

You might want to consider a short piece of straight track in the middles of the curves on the ends of the 22" loop so you have a bit more separation or your customer unless s/he will only run rather short equipment. Locos and rolling stock can make contact with one another on close parallel curves with anything longer than 8-wheel locos or 60" rolling stock due to hangover of the longer cars.

As for your crossover, it's not as easy as plugging switches into the plan because, while snap switches and the like have curved diverging routes which are comparable to 18" radius curves, the turnouts you should use have straight diverging tracks and steepness determined by how fast the diverging track separates from the through track. The numbers of turnouts are a scale of proportion, i.e., how many units of distance a train goes forward compared to the distance it moves away from the through track. Thus, a number four turnout is "sharper" than a number eight turnout because the number four turnout proceeds just four units to accomplish one unit of divergence while the number eight requires eight units of forward motion to move the same lateral distance.

-- D

Jerrys HO

Suddo,

I agree with Doneldon. I use straight sections on both my 18R and 22R. As far as tying them together I use Bachmann's #6 crossovers. I soldered the wire's to both switch motor's together so I can operate both crossovers at once. Bachmann has to switch controller's in the package. It was easier to switch one than both.

I used anyrail.com to get my track design started. You can download  a free trial of up to 50 pieces of track to get your answer. This will allow you to try the crossover's and the numbered turnouts till you get what you need. Stick with the highr number's for less problems switching track's

Jerry

Terry Toenges

A lot depends on the size of the loop to begin with as to what size turnout will work best.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

i highly recommend against the use of the standard 18" switches. especially for crossovers. the last thing you want on your layout is an 18"r reverse curve and that's exactly what you have when using these as a crossover.

#5 OR #6 would be a much better bet.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on June 02, 2012, 10:52:19 AM
i highly recommend against the use of the standard 18" switches. especially for crossovers. the last thing you want on your layout is an 18"r reverse curve and that's exactly what you have when using these as a crossover.

#5 OR #6 would be a much better bet.

AMEN. And stick one or two straight track sections in those crossovers if you can. That probably means no double crossovers but you can still get between tracks by using two single tracks.