item 44902 E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System

Started by pphilibin, April 15, 2012, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pphilibin

How many dcc ho trains can I run on it at one time.  I keep seeing multiple locomotives but NO number... Can I run 3, 5 7 or ??? ??? ???

Doneldon

pp-

The EZ Command officially puts one amp on the track but several other posters have said on this board in the past that its output is closer to 1.25 amps. I haven't checked it myself but let's assume the output is on the order of 1.1 - 1.2 amps. How far will that go? A good question which depends on the locomotives and accessories the system must run.

Older HO locos with open-frame motors pulled anywhere from .4 to .75 amps each. Thus your EZCom could run one or two such locos. BUT, newer can motors pull only .2 - .3 amps so you could conceivably run four locos. Add sound to the locos and you're probably back to two. Add a string of lighted passenger cars to a sound loco and you might be able to run only a single train, or perhaps two a if the loco on the second one is newer and without sound. Start using your EZCom to throw DCC turnouts and you could have momentary overdraws but I doubt that they would crash the system.

You can add Bachmann's five-amp booster to your EZCom to get effectively unlimited power for anything smaller than a really extensive home layout or a club layout. That booster is hugely expensive, however, and you'll still have a system which lacks programming ability, cannot read EMF from your locos, can "remember" only ten locomotives and provides limited access to sound and lighting features. There is a better alternative.

Consider a system other than EZCom. All of the DCC manufacturers offer entry-level systems with a couple of amps of power and full programming capability. Bachmann's own Dynamis system is clearly superior to the EZCom and about the same (street price) as a boosted EZCom. Whatever you do, be certain that the system you purchase is NMRA compliant. That won't be a problem with US HO manufacturers (other than Broadway Limited which has proprietary technology) but foreign DCC systems may offer only limited compatibility.

Welcome to model railroading, assuming you are new to it, and good luck with your system selection.
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

cwmeeks

I had an EZ Command Digital Command Control System. I was able to run two (2) DCC locomotives at a time, if both were new locos, if either was one of my Athearn's, that I had upgraded to DCC things came to a halt. I moved up to a Power Cab, I can now run four (4) locomotives at once. No matter the locomotive. The power cab tells me that i am drawing about 1.4 amps with four (4) two of the new Bachmans and two of my upgraded Spectrum's. I don't run the Athearn's any longer, too noisy! I had no way to measure amps before I got it.

Regards

c