News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repair of old locomotive

Started by PiedmontRR, February 25, 2012, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiedmontRR

Ok, I have a really old locomotive. Bachmann said they would  replace it with something else but I don't want anything else.  The locomotive's engine quit working.   So much for a lifetime warranty.  This locomotive just won't run any more.  I am considering buying parts off of ebay to gut an older locomotive to use as a replacement part and need to know if it would fit it.  I am going to buy an old beat up F9 locomotive and use the pancake motor out of there to replace the burned out motor the locomotive's motor power looks very similar as with older stuff so it might work.  Are there any thoughts?  It is a prized locomotive to me and I would like to make it work again.

richg

Quote from: PiedmontRR on February 25, 2012, 05:09:13 PM
Ok, I have a really old locomotive. Bachmann said they would  replace it with something else but I don't want anything else.  The locomotive's engine quit working.   So much for a lifetime warranty.  This locomotive just won't run any more.  I am considering buying parts off of ebay to gut an older locomotive to use as a replacement part and need to know if it would fit it.  I am going to buy an old beat up F9 locomotive and use the pancake motor out of there to replace the burned out motor the locomotive's motor power looks very similar as with older stuff so it might work.  Are there any thoughts?  It is a prized locomotive to me and I would like to make it work again.

Define, real old. There is a practical limitation. I have to assume you are not whining but want a possible solution.
Some use a similar motor out of an old CD drive. Many CD drives use a can motor or a pancake type motor. I have seen both.
No doubt you can find these motors on ebay or the complete loco.
Good chance someone here would know if this will fit the newer Bachmann F type or similar style loco.
A similar style loco would not be very expensive and just swap the shells. There are many available and others here can mention, inexpensive sources.
That is one of the joys of model railroading versus just running trains.

Rich

bobwrgt

Did your old engine have only 4 wheel drive with rubber traction tires?? That is the old pancake motor.
The newer engines have 8 wheel drive and no traction tires. They have a can type motor and will run a lot better than the old design and last longer..
You are taking your chances on ebay finding an engine with a old good motor that is why there are so many for sale on ebay.

If you realy like your old engine get a new one in the same road name and turn your into a dummy to put behind it. (Bachmann should return your old one if you ask).
It's not hard to make a dummy.

Bob