News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Bachmann locomotives

Started by PiedmontRR, February 04, 2012, 05:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiedmontRR

I have some older Bachmann locomotives. Can these be kitbashed to accomodate DDC/ or digitraxx?  Our club uses digitraxx decoders.

richg

Steam, diesel? Specify which type.
Many had split chassis and can be difficult to isolate the motor.
Some had the pancake motor.
If diesel, do all the wheels pickup?
Notice lack of details.
We can assume HO because of the forum.
What is your level of experience on doing electrical/soldering and mechanical modification of locos?What is your level of DCC knowledge?
Have you opened up any of the locos?
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Rich

PiedmontRR

Sorry I wasn't specific enough they are diesels they were made in the 1980's.  I do not have the know how to do soldering or anything, my expereinces are with the old fashioned ways.   ALL  I want to do is make the older stuff work with today's stuff and run with the club stuff.   Bachmann has to do some repairs on some stuff and I would certainly would like to upgrade parts if at all. I just want to make it work.

Doneldon

Piedmont-

Locomotives older than the last 10-15 years aren't generally worth the trouble to do a DCC install. They have cheap motors, even if they are can motors, they are inefficient, they aren't built to nearly as close tolerances as are today's items and their levels of detail are sorely lacking compared to contemporary merchandise.

However, it's fair and accurate to say that any just about locomotive can be converted to DCC if one is willing to put the energy, time and money into the project. Many older locos require milling the frame to make space for DCC components (especially speakers) or a new motor. Then you have to electrically isolate the motor from the frame and wheels. This usually goes pretty easily because can motors will take care of that problem. But you might have to devise a motor mount. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes it isn't. Then you have to tune the locomotive to its optimal performance (actually, you should do this before you do anything else) because it is axiomatic that DCC will not only not make a poor runner run well, it will often amplify any problems the locomotive already has, like poor running characteristics or pick-up. And after all of that, you still have an old model with questionable detail, possibly poor paint and old parts which are more likely to fail than new ones. Think trucks and couplers.

However, and this is a BIG however, you may have a loco or some locos which have so much sentimental value to you that you just can't bear the thought of not running them. If that's the case, go for it!
                                                -- D

richg

Quote from: PiedmontRR on February 04, 2012, 06:47:24 PM
Sorry I wasn't specific enough they are diesels they were made in the 1980's.  I do not have the know how to do soldering or anything, my expereinces are with the old fashioned ways.   ALL  I want to do is make the older stuff work with today's stuff and run with the club stuff.   Bachmann has to do some repairs on some stuff and I would certainly would like to upgrade parts if at all. I just want to make it work.

Tell us EXACTLY what locos you have.

Rich

richg

If the motor draws no more than 750 ma, many decoders will works as they are usually good for 1 amp.
One big issue with older Bachmann locos is the pickups are not very good. Many times a strip of metal between the inside of the wheels and metal frame.

Some solder a #30 wire to the metal strips and connect those wires to the red and black decoder wires.
Even then you have to make sure the metal strips continually press on the inside metal part of the drivers.
Usually you have to completely disassemble the frame halves to isolate the motor contacts.

I have done the Plymouth six wheel switcher that has the pancake motor with a Digitrax DZ125 decoder just to prove a point. Current draw at 12 VDC was about 670 ma.
The pickups are the same. Two metal strips. I had to improve the pickups as you probably know, DCC does not like intermittent pickup.

Rich

PiedmontRR

I've got two BQ-23-7's , Some F-7's  and a couple of others that came from some sets.  I also have others by other manufacturers.