News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke question...

Started by spdaylight, January 07, 2012, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spdaylight

Hi, I have a HO SP4449 Daylight loco (item no 41-0550-D9) and on the included parts list is extra smoke fluid.  I don't see anywhere else that the train actually smokes.  Is there a way to find out if it does?  Thanks.

Doneldon

esspee-

The #40001 Daylight Northern does have smoke; I'm pretty sure that the DCC locos do not. You're not missing much. The smoke effect is really wimpy unless you run the loco at all ahead flank emergency. And then all you truly have is vaporized mineral oil which quickly condenses ... all over your locomotive, track and scenery, where it attracts and captures dirt and lint.
                                                                                   -- D

lirrman

Donaldon is right.  The oil residue from the smoke makes a mess and the oil on the track causes slipping.  I stopped using smoke engines long ago.  I do have one question however.  If the smoke unit is connected and not used will the heat cause any harm and will the unit eventually burn out?

Doneldon

Islander-

Just about all smoking locos have an electrical switch to turn the smoke generator on and off. They are frequently behind the smokebox door. A smoker which is run without fluid will quickly burn itself out. Ideally, that happens before the heat damages the locomotive shell but I know of several cases of damaged plastic shells.
                -- D

Limey

Doneldon,
                  I have Bachmann 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 ( As yet unused ) with smokers and would very much like to disconnect them, do you know if they have the switch to turn off the smoke unit, and do I have to take them apart to get at it ?

Thanks, Limey.

jonathan

Limey,

It depends how old they are.  The newest versions have an on/off switch in the cab.

With the older versions, you have a choice:  

1. Do nothing and the smoke unit will eventually burn itself out.

2. Remove the shell and pull out the central nail and wire in the smoke unit.

I prefer the latter, as you can add weight in the receptacle that use to house the smoke unit.

The shells on these guys are tough to pull off (tight fit).  There is a screw under the cab to remove.  Then pull up on the shell.  The shell does not want to come off easily.  You will feel as if you are about to break something.

Search my name (jonathan) and "0-6-0".  You will see text and picture of various things I've done to the 0-6-0 to get it running and pulling nicely.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

Here are the links to my previous postings on the 0-6-0:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18444.0.html
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18404.0.html
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17449.0.html

on30gn15

Quote from: lirrman on January 08, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
Donaldon is right.  The oil residue from the smoke makes a mess and the oil on the track causes slipping.
Don't know about y'all but breathing that stuff does me no good whatsoever.
Smoke units get removed from HO & G both.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest