How to convert DCC-ready 70-ton to DC

Started by jheichelbech@hotmail.com, December 31, 2011, 02:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jheichelbech@hotmail.com

Hello all,

Just bought a used GE 70-ton DCC-equipped loco, and could not get it to respond to DC power, which is all we have at this time on our layout.  We are running a Tech4 MRC220 power supply, which has been really good for our DC locos. 

I have read that the DC function can be disabled on these locos, but I cannot locate a copy of the instructions on how to check this.  Could someone point me to a thread or to instructions on enabling the DC capability?

Thank you,

John

Jim Banner

DCC decoders are programmed by storing values in "Configuration Variables" or CV's in the decoder.  The CV that controls automatic conversion to dc when DCC is not being used is CV29.  It should be set to a value of 6 to achieve what you want.  It will have to be set using a DCC command station.  Perhaps your local hobby shop or model railroad club or a private individual using DCC can do this for you.  Ask them to please turn the headlight on at the same time so that the headlight will work on dc power.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

As Jim said, the DC option must have been disabled.
Go look for the EZ Command documents in the Parts and Service page.
Since you own at least one Bachmann loco, take time to look through all the Bachmann site. Many new people here never think of that.
Do a search of the General and HO forums for 70 ton. You will find more discussions of the 70 ton that might prove useful in the future.

Rich