News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO wheel sets

Started by Maverick1, November 15, 2011, 09:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick1

Most of my cars are at least 50 years old and badly in need of new wheel sets.  I purchased a small pack of Branchline Blueprint 33" standard tread and they worked great.  However, I need enough for over 50 cars so I purchased a bulk set of Exactrail 33" but they fall out of the trucks.  So guys what am I missing here?

jonathan

Maverick,

Each manufacturer makes their wheels a bit differently.  Over time, I have kept a small supply of 33" wheelsets from each company to fit into my old equipment.  It seems the trucks have slightly varying widths. 

There's a good chance Exactrail produces trucks a bit tighter than other manufacturers.  Probably has smaller wheel journals as well.  I found the Atlas wheelsets are similar (a bit shorter than other companies).

In older equipment, I've found the Intermountain wheelsets fit the best.  On occasion, the Kadee wheelsets fit the best.  On newer equipment, with plastic wheels, I've found the P2K wheelsets make a good replacement.

I like it when the wheels are bit too tight.  Then you can use a truck tuner to make a nice, free-rolling wheelset.

Don't toss out the Exactrail wheelsets.  You'll probably find a use for them as your modeling progresses.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Maverick - In addition to the excellent advice given above, I suggest that you are very careful inserting new wheel sets into the bolsters. Applying too much pressure on the wheel set can cause some sets to warp (generally those wheel sets having a plastic axle). Should this happen, you will notice the car proceeding down the track with a marked 'lope'. Yes, I have been guilty in this regard.

Best of luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"