News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing DCC address on Baldwin 4-6-0

Started by DalePro4, October 24, 2011, 11:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DalePro4

Hello Bach-Man

Enjoyed meeting you at the  recent IHobby show! Can you provide the detailed procedure for changing the default DCC address of Bachmann decoders with a Digitrax Zephyr?. You mentioned using a 1000 ohm resistor.... will a 1K 5% 5W210 work? What will? (sorry, I'm electronically challenged)

Recall, When reprogramming the Baldwin 4-6-0 address, the Digitrax Zephyr registers 'dnr' or no signal found on the programming track. This loco runs like a champ with the default address, and I can't wait to get it running with it's permanant number.

Thanks!

the Bach-man

Dear Dale,
Here is the email I received from Rich at Digitraxx:

providing you results in programming the DCC On Board Decoders with Digitrax Command Stations.

After the release of both these engines, end-users were having difficulty programming these engines.  Especially 4 digit addressing.

In order to program these decoders, a resistive load needs to be placed across the programming track rails.  I suggest either a 1K ohm resistor or a 12 volt light bulb.

I have successfully programmed both the 44 & 70 Tonners using Digitrax PAGED, DIRECT (once the additional load was added to the programming track), and OPS mode programming.  If an end user is still having difficulty programming these decoders, they can individually program the CVs for the 4 digit address.  This involves calculating the values of CVs 17 & 18 and setting CV29 accordingly.

4 Digit Addressing Formula

If you want to program a 4 digit address you simply cannot take the desired locomotive address and split the number and stick it into CV17 & CV18. The following example will NOT work:

Locomotive 2345 CV17 = 23, CV18 = 45 – This isn't how 4 digit addressing works.

Here is a simple method for figuring out what values belong in CV17 & CV18:

Desired locomotive 4 digit address DIVIDED by 256.  Add 192 to the whole number.  The sum is entered into CV17.

MULTIPLY the whole number by 256 (the number before adding 192).

The result is them SUBTRACTED from the desired locomotive address.

EXAMPLES:

2345 -- Desired Locomotive address                              7821 -- Desired Locomotive address

2345 / 256 = 9.16015625                                                7821 / 256 = 30.55078125

9 + 192 = 201                                                                30 + 192 = 222

CV17 will be 201                                                            CV17 will be 222

9 * 256 = 2304                                                               30 * 256 = 7680

2345 – 2304 = 41                                                           7821 – 7680 = 141

CV18 will be 41                                                             CV18 will be 141

Remember to set CV29 to the correct value!  CV29 should be set for a value of 038 if Analog Conversion is desired OR to a value of 034 if the locomotive will only be ran on a DCC layout.  I suggest this value in CV29 to disable Analog (DC) operation.  Setting CV29 to 034 prevents runaways when the DCC signal is lost but voltage is still applied to the track such as after a short on the rails.

There are many 4 digit calculators on the web that will do the math for you.

Hope this helps,

Rich

DalePro4

skipgear

If it is a Zephyr Xtra, you shouldn't need to add the ballast resistor on the program track.

If you can't get the above to work, just program it on the main. Adress the loco, set your system to OPP mode and program on the main line. It should work just fine without any need for a resistor. Just make sure there are no other loco's on the track on Address 3 or they will be programmed with the same information also.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950