News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc sound

Started by scheek, October 21, 2011, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scheek

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily convert a standard dcc steamer to have sound with it?

jonathan

Try here

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

This was a simple sound install, AND, my first time.  It went well, after I figured out what I was doing.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: scheek on October 21, 2011, 04:23:13 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to easily convert a standard dcc steamer to have sound with it?

You did not specify which loco. Sounds like you have never done this before.
Be advised, there are various values of easy extending all the way to difficult.
Sound decoders can cost $50.00 to around $140.00, including the speaker, depending on the manufacturer. They all have different features.

Rich

ACY

If it is not a spectrum, chances are very good the install will be difficult, especially for someone without a lot of experience.

richg

I am not sure the standard line have tender wheel pickups which are a necessity in DCC. Trying to do this without some experience can really turn someone away from DCC. A few have done the standard with non sound but it was a challenge.
I have done the Plymouth 0-6-0 and it runs but would frustrate many users. The wheel pickups are not very good. I have to install track wipers.

Rich

Doneldon

sheek-

"Easy" isn't such an easy word to understand. Easy to difficult is a long continuum and one person's easy as pie is another's SOB of a job. Let us know what easy means to you and what modeling and electronic skills you have and we should be able to gve you a more meaningful answer.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

arthur0109

i'm looking at the mrc1025 synchro sound system. check i out.

scheek

Ok well the locomotive is a spectrum 2-8-0. The dcc systems I am familiar with are the 8 pin plug type. I have worked with dcc before, but not with bachmann stuff.