News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Does This Loco have both DCC Receptacles?

Started by jonathan, March 25, 2011, 05:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Starting to explore DCC stuff in my own equipment.  Here's a relatively new Athearn model with what appears to be an 8-pin receptacle:

When I flip over the gizmo on the left, could this be a 9-pin receptacle as well?

Just confused by the extra wires and little pcb attached to it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

The Digitrax website recommends a DH123D or DH163 decoder for this loco.  As much as I can deduce from all the reading I've done, one can unplug the PCB(bypass?) on the left as pictured above, and plug in either decoder.  Can it really be that simple?  There's always a gotcha somewhere.  I'm sure it can't be as simple as plugging in a decoder, with an 8-pin plug, into the empty receptacle, on the right of the photographs.  jv 

With all the reading I've done, there is never a simple paragraph like, "here is the recommended decoder for YOUR loco, and here's how to plug it in."  Everything carries instructions for a group, or brand of loco.  And of course, each loco is configured just a little differently.  So many paragraphs, so little time...

ACY

I have a bunch of Athearn locos like this, if I recall the jumper is in the 9 pin socket, so you remove that and install a decoder in either the 8 or 9 pin socket. I actually stated this before, but nobody believed me when
I told them that Athearn locomotives now have both an 8 and 9 pin socket.

ACY

I have stuck a decoder with an 8-pin plug in the 8-pin socket in my Athearn SD40T-2 Ohio Central System locomotive. As it turns out it fit fine and I have not had any issues, but your results may vary.

jonathan

Thank you very much for confirming this issue.  ACY, I wouldn't have believed two receptacles either, unless I'd seen it myself.

My intention is to use a Digitrax decoder and plug to the 9-pin receptacle. This is another loco that doesn't fit on my B&O themed layout, so I intend to run it on our club's DCC layout and modular display.

Got a couple of Superliners (added people) when I was going through my Amtrak phase:

While these cars will run on my layout, they really look too big going around my 24" rad. curves.

Thanks again, guys.  You're a wealth of information as always.

Regards,

Jonathan