News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC EMD FT A-Unit and B-Unit work together?

Started by MrSirMan, March 05, 2011, 02:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSirMan

Do the DCC equipped  EMD FT A-Unit and B-Units work together to provide better pulling power?  The A and B are both sold separately and both are powered but I cant find any info on them working in tandem.  I'm assuming that they do.

jettrainfan

They should be able to, have them on the same channel on your DCC channel and give it a try. They're basically the same build, except the shell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Doneldon

Sir-

You must be sure to program the B-unit such that forward and reverse match the setting or the A-unit. The two locos will work against one another if this is not done. You might also have to speed match the locos but I would guess that this is only a minor issue, if it's an issue at all, since they are the same under the hood.
                                                                                                      -- D

jward

out of the box most new locomotives have the dcc address 03. thus your ft a & b should work together. if the b unit runs the opposite way from the a unit, turn it around. and when you reset the address of the a unit, set the b unit to the same address as well. and keep in mind that unlike later versions of f units like the f7 and f9, many fts were semi-permanently coupled in a-b pairs, and many ran their entire lives coupled to each other.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RunningTrains

Quote from: MrSirMan on March 05, 2011, 02:00:31 PM
Do the DCC equipped  EMD FT A-Unit and B-Units work together to provide better pulling power?  The A and B are both sold separately and both are powered but I cant find any info on them working in tandem.  I'm assuming that they do.

I have the FT A & B, together they will be pull 25, 50' free rolling cars up my 3% incline without a problem, part of my incline has a 22" curve at the start.

They do have the pulling power, now that they are broken in I may add a few more cars to see where they max out.

Just  make both units the same address number, put them on the track & power them up to see which end of the "B" unit goes in the same direction as the "A" unit.

Hope this helps with the pulling power part of your question.

John

BHTraindriver

I have several AB sets and two ABBA sets.  These locomotives seem to work well together.  Unless a decoder goes bad.
Airplanes are a way to cross the country, trains are a way to see the country.