News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Belt drive

Started by RunningTrains, March 09, 2011, 08:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningTrains

How dependable are these and can they pull at least 10 cars up a 2% grade?

I run my trains 10 to 12 hours everyday.

All steamers I now have are gear driven, this belt drive has been the only thing stopping me from buying one.

But now I need one for 18" curves and this would work, if it runs well and holds up.

jerryl

I have seen no complaints on this or any other site about the belt drive, but have seen NUMEROUS ones about cracked gears on the gear driven engines. I have 2 belt driven engines & altho I don't  run them as much as you do, haven't had any problems.  jerry

jonathan

RT,

I have 4 belt driven locos:  two Heavy Mountains and two Consolidations.  My berk may be belt drive as well, haven't had cause to pop open the frame yet.

One 2-8-0 had a split belt, which looked like a factory default.  It was not caused by wear.  I replaced the belt ($3 US from Bachmann parts and service).  It was a relatively easy fix, if you're not afraid of disassembly of small parts.  That loco is currently my best runner.

Like you, I run my steamies for hours at a time. 

I am told the main crank pins will wear out before the belt does (screw that holds the eccentric parts).  I lube the eccentric crank on a regular basis, just in case. 

The cog belt seems to be very durable/reliable.  With regular care, those Connies will provide many, many hours of great service.  Mine do...  They pull better than most locos.  Couldn't compare your layout to mine.

Regards,

Jonathan

RunningTrains

Quote from: jonathan on March 09, 2011, 10:34:51 AM
RT,

I have 4 belt driven locos:  two Heavy Mountains and two Consolidations.  My berk may be belt drive as well, haven't had cause to pop open the frame yet.

One 2-8-0 had a split belt, which looked like a factory default.  It was not caused by wear.  I replaced the belt ($3 US from Bachmann parts and service).  It was a relatively easy fix, if you're not afraid of disassembly of small parts.  That loco is currently my best runner.

Like you, I run my steamies for hours at a time. 

I am told the main crank pins will wear out before the belt does (screw that holds the eccentric parts).  I lube the eccentric crank on a regular basis, just in case. 

The cog belt seems to be very durable/reliable.  With regular care, those Connies will provide many, many hours of great service.  Mine do...  They pull better than most locos.  Couldn't compare your layout to mine.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

That's good to know - I'll buy one now.

I just retired my oldest loco a P2K U30B with over 8,000 hours on it.

Not afraid to open them up, I do my own decoder work & tune ups.

THANKS for the prompt response.

John