Screech and chatter at low speed - Bachmann DCC OnBoard FT-A

Started by NKTower, January 01, 2011, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKTower

I have Bachmann 44-tonner, doodlebug and EZ-Command DCC. all work fine.  Just added a Bachmann FT-A w/ DCC pre-installed and while it runs fine and quietly at moderate speed, at low speed it screeches and chatters.  Is this the nature of this particular model series, or is it a problem to this particular model and thus due for repair or replacement?  It's a week old, purchased new via mail order.

ACY

It is a low end DCC loco, not a Spectrum, don't expect a ton.

K487

NKTower:

I've got 3 of the Bmann FTs and yes they are on the low end of dcc locos and yes they all did their own variation of the "screech act" out of the box. 

I disassembled them all down to where I could access all the internal moving parts and lubed them (particularly the motor shafts' bearings) with light plastic-compatible oil.  Problems fixed.  Ran them (DC, I don't use DCC) in some, changed couplers to KDs, and they are very good pullers (believe it or not just one of these FTs can pull a 61 car train by itself, even though I use two so I don't over-stress one.)  The engines are also surprisingly quiet (not as quiet as Atlas though.)  After lubing, these have been very good bangs for the bucks for me.

K487

NKTower

Thank you for responses.  I think I have some LaBelle 108 in one of my boxes, it definitely is worth giving it a try.