News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC ON DC

Started by hutchinsonj, December 30, 2010, 03:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutchinsonj

I am new to the hobby with a track layout set up for 5 trains. 3 trains are currently powered by conventional dc units. I just purchased my first Bachmann 4-8-4 gs4 steam locomotive with DCC. I plan to put 2 of these on the remaining 2 tracks. Will the new unit run under conventional dc power until I am completely set up? thanks!

Jim Banner

Yes they will. They might run a tad slower than they would on DCC but that is not normally a problem.  And they may run poorly on dc if you have a fancy power pack with pulse control.  A simple power pack works best.

If you are planning to run all five trains on one power pack, it will have to be rated for more current than the once that come with a train set.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hutchinsonj

Thanks Jim. You put me ease on this. I didn't want to do the wrong thing right out of the box, being new to this. I do have separate power packs for each line. Have a great New Year.

Hutch

CNE Runner

Backing up what Jim B. has said, I run a Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 Ton (DC/DCC or dual mode decoder) on DC without any problems at all. I have also tried my Bachmann GP35 (also dual mode but not Spectrum) on the same layout with the same results...no problems (other than it is way too large for a small shelf layout). I definitely recommend any of the Bachmann Spectrum line over the Bachmann standard issue...you get what you pay for.

Jim: Didn't I see you on the Polar Express as it passed through Saskatoon?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

CNE-

Inside, on top or running the loco?

-- D

ebtbob

Are all five tracks connected in any way?   If so,  you MUST isolate the DCC controlled tracks from the regular DC controlled tracks or you will fry you regular transformer
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

Ray.
That might have been a polar bear in a Santa suit.  When the light is just right, we look about the same.
Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.