News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Set Compatibility

Started by colson, December 30, 2010, 08:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colson

Hello,

I have an old Santa Fe Diesel H0 scale train set that I used to play with when I was a kid. We just bought our son the Bachmann Overland Limited train set and I would like for him to be able to use my old train as well. Is it compatible or should I buy new track and have it run separate?

-Chris

Kris Everett

should be ok

i would run it on its own first though just to make sure

jward

you will probably run into compatability issues with couplers. knuckle couplers are now standard, older train sets have horn hooks. the two won't work together, so you'll want to make an adapter car with one coupler of each type. it's as simple as swapping out couplers on a newer car. you'll have a knuckle on one end, and a horn hook on the other.

that said, i think you'll notice a huge difference in the quality of the trains, with the newer one being as good as or better than the top of the line stuff from 25 years ago.

other than that, they will run on the same tracks using the same power pack.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

colson

Great, thanks for the quick responses. I totally forgot about the couplers being different. I'll test it out tonight. I have to go get some cleaner and lube since the older one hasn't been run in quite a while. I'll post again with my results. Thanks again!

-Chris