New guy has question about Great Northern Empire Builder set

Started by RRAdventurer, December 28, 2010, 11:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRAdventurer

Hello all. Am new to the board and have decided to make a few upgrades to the 10 year old Lifelike train I run under the Christmas tree. And even make the move (and find the space) for a more permanent layout that my son and I can enjoy.

I have my eye on the Empire Builder Great Northern passenger train set. I note that it comes with powered A and B units. How powerful is the powerpack? I assume it puts our more power than the 7VA lifelike powerpack that I currently have. Assuming I buy this set, will I be able to run a train with a Bachmann RF-16 DCC Shark A and B and 2 pullman cars?

Thanks in advance.

jward

assuming that you use the power pack included in the empire builder set, you should be able to run 2 powered locomotives. after all, that's what comes in the set. and i wouldn't worry about additional cars either. even on my steep inclines, most of my locomotives pull at least 6 cars. i don't have sharks, so i can't give a direct comparison, but my bachmann gp7 will pull 6 or 7 cars, my walthers fa2 will pull 11, etc.....all the above should be similar in size and weight to the sharks.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bobwrgt

The new set should be lightyears ahead of your 10yr old set. You will find that it will also provide much better speed control and slow speed operation of the new engines. There should be no problem with the Sharks or most other engines.

Bob