News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Won't Run

Started by glennsea, December 26, 2010, 02:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennsea

I got my first N scale set for Christmas, the Empire Builder.  I set it up last night and the engine won't run.  I have checked and rechecked the track.  I ran a multi meter around the track and power seems to be consistent.  The light comes on the engine and increasing as I add power and flickers when I change direction so it is getting power. 

Is there something I can do to the engine like take it apart to look at the motor?

the Bach-man

Dear Glenn,
It could be a broken contact. Give the service department a call tomorrow.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

bobwrgt

Check the outside linkage to see if it is locked up. Keeping the motor from turning.
Other than that you will have to remove the shell to get to the motor.
After the sets are sitting on the shelf the motors sometimes need help to get turning again after storage.
When you get inside turn the worm gear over a few times with your finger to make sure the motor turns
The motor picks up power from two tabs that press against the frame. Where these tabs hit the frame sometimes does not make good contact. Check for corrosion on the end of the tabs.
If this gets it running it should be OK after a few laps to break the engine in.
Your other choices are to return it to where it was purchased for a replacement or send it back to Bachmann for warranty.
Bachmann will take some time for repair or replacement at this   time of the year .

Bob