News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New guy here. Looking for assistance

Started by Mustang Gregg, December 20, 2010, 11:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang Gregg

Hello:

I have not been into HO training since the early 1990's.  I had a pretty big collection of rolling stock and locos, but I had to sell off all of my stuff for moving, military, family, etc, etc. 
Now I'm getting back to the HO diesel freight railroading. 
And I have a lot of dumb questions to pose here.

DCC was pretty much a dream way back then.
Are Bachmann locomotives (starter trainsets, actaully) coming out DCC-ready?

Mustang Gregg,
Nebraska Westward Railroad

WTierce1

No.  :(  The only starter set that is DCC ready is the Amtrak Norester. All of the spectrum sets are DCC equipped other than that set. The Acela is the only set that is spectrum that is not steam. Bachmann does have DCC starter sets that actually come with a DCC controller and only 2 of them have diesels. And here is another suggestion, I would notget them DCC ready because the decoders are not alltat cheep. So getting locomotives with the DCC already in them are a lot less expensive.  The DCC state sets are listed under the DCC equipped sets and not under the regular set listings.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Jim Banner

Let's be careful to define the terms we are using.

As defined by the National Model Railroad Association, 'DCC Ready' means that the locomotive in some way has been wired to make it easier to install a decoder.  The locomotive may even have a built in socket ready to plug a decoder into.  IT DOES NOT mean that the locomotive is ready to plop on a DCC track and run on DCC.

I suspect Mustang Greg is looking for DCC Equipped diesel locomotives that already have DCC on board.  Bachmann makes at least two such sets.  One is the Diesel Digital Commander set.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=2098

And the other is the Digital Commander set with two locomotives.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1532

As well, Bachmann makes many DCC equipped locomotives.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=193

You can click on the links for more information.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

In addition to the sets already mentioned, there is also a Steam Digital Commander set and three Dynamis sets that come with DCC and sound already installed.

Doneldon

Much the same is true of other manufacturers as well. Many have at least some motive power (steam or diesel) with installed DCC. 

I second tierce's recommendation about buying locos with decoders installed. It's cheaper in the long run and can avoid quite a bit of frustration. However, a given buyer may decide non-DCC equipped locos are his/her choice. This might be because s/he wants a certain sound generator in a locomotive but the manufacturer uses a different one, or just because the DCC challenge floats his/her boat.  (Sorry. We're talking trains here, aren't we? In that case I'll substitute "stokes his firebox.")
                                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Mustang Gregg

Yep, it was the Bachmann two diesel set you put on the link.

Thanks.  I guess I ought to just stick with the regular DC/power transformer set ups for now.

Actually I'mthinking about buying the Atlas starter set I was looking at yesterday.  It's a freight diesel, caboose, 3 cars, oval and transformer for about $150.  Then I make it can make it bigger from there.  DCC is probably too much hassle until I have several locos and a real layout.

Much obliged,
Mustang Gregg

jward

the atlas trainman sets are very good. i have several of the trainman locomotives and cars and they are among my best performers. they are comaprable to the silver series bachmann cars, with the locomotives being as good as or better than the best bachmann stuff. not that i'm bashing bachmann, their locomotives and cars also run very well......the best part is that, once you have the basic setup almost any HO locomotives and cars will work together, the main incompatability being older equipment that has horn hook type couplers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

In general, I agree with Donaldon's suggestion to buy new locomotives with decoders already installed.  But if you already have a fleet of dc locomotives, it is cheaper to much cheaper to install your own decoders in them than to junk them/sell them on eBay and then buy new replacements. 

There seem to be many people selling good used dc locomotives so that they can upgrade to DCC.  This has brought down the price of good used locomotives.  Some of us who don't mind installing decoders (or gasp! actually enjoy it) take advantage of this and expand our fleets at very economical prices.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.