Heavy Mountain with DCC and sound capabilities run on DC

Started by Geno, January 27, 2011, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

I have a nice DC transformer.  If I purchase a Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 with DCC and sound and just run it on the DC, will I get full sound? If I don't get full sound, what do I get?  What is the next step up in equipment to take full advantage of the DCC. I have several non DCC locos. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and can't drive and ask someone.  Thanks

ACY

You cannot access the full benefits of your sound decoder equipped loco without a non-basic DCC system. The E-Z Command would not allow you to program and read configuration variables, you would want a Bachmann Dynamis system, or a non basic system from a competitor like NCE, MRC, Digitrax, etc...

r0bert

You have a few options for the sound with the Bachmann Steamer.

First, you will get the random sounds, as well as the steam chuffing sound as the loco runs, also the Tsunami sound decoder has auto sounds for DC operation that control the bell, whistle, brake sounds, and grade crossing signal, that are all controlled by you speed controller.
These auto sound have be initially turned on by setting the proper CVs with a DCC system, but if you know someone with a DCC system, there is a local club, or the shop your getting the loco from, can set those for you, you're all set.

The second option is an add on controller for sound, such as the MRC "BlackBox" which is a DCC simulator that will allow you to directly control all the sound functions of the decoder without having to buy a full DCC system.

Next, there are basic DCC systems, like Bachmann's EZ Command, which will allow you to independently control up to 9 DCC locomotives, access functions 1 thru 8 plus the lights, and operates 1 DC locomotive at the same time.
These basic systems are mainly for operation only, and generally do no, or very limited programming, but here again, there are options, including stand alone programmers that connect to your computer.

Finally, we have the full featured DCC systems that cover all the bases, plus some that you haven't even thought of yet, from basic operations to fully automated centralized traffic control.
All have to do is decide which option works best for you.
Enjoy, and have fun!!

Pacific Northern

Check out the manual at the Soundtrax site, choose the Bachmann manual.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals.php

All you need to know.
Pacific Northern

bobwrgt

Thanks for the information on Bachmann DC sound.
After 3 years this is the first time i have read this information posted on the Forum. Would have been nice if Bachmann had put it in the FAQ that is empty of any usable information.
It's to late for me i have already filled my steam roster with Broadway Limited and Proto steam because Bachmann never advertised what they had for DC sound and the features.
If  I had known about the automatic features i would have purchased some Bachmann.

Bob

PS  Mr. Bachmann make a note of this.