News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho scale acela problem

Started by cjm21292, November 27, 2010, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjm21292

Hi i been having a problem with my acela, i just bought it today at a train show and after putting the tracks up and putting the train on the locomotor doesnt want to work at all

simkon

Did it work at the train show, if not you probably bought a non-operative locomotive.

cjm21292

they didnt have a place where i can test it out and it is a powered locomotive but im just not sure what to do since today was the last day and the hobby store that is its from is in maryland

simkon

If it is not brand new and you are not the first owner, then there isn't much you can do.

cjm21292

the weird thing is that its brand new box was never opened until i got home and its just defective

simkon

Wait for advice from other forum members before sending it in...also even though its sealed it may not have necessarily been from an authorized dealer.

cjm21292

ok but the postcard they give you with each train and trainset those are for the warranty right

simkon

Quote from: cjm21292 on November 27, 2010, 07:22:29 PM
ok but the postcard they give you with each train and trainset those are for the warranty right
The box having that card does not mean it is under warranty, it has to be sold as Brand New from an authorized dealer to be valid.

OldTimer

Before you decide that the locomotive is defective, you need to do some checking.  Double check all your connections between the power pack and the track and make sure that the power pack is plugged in to a working outlet.  Do the lights turn on when you apply power?  If the lights work, try jiggling the engine on the track.  It may be that the lubrication has dried and gotten stiff so if you can take the body off the chassis, turn the motor shaft by hand and try applying power again.  Good luck.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

cjm21292

if I tryed to take that thing apart i probably would mess it up but the lights dont work at all but there was like a little piece of glass that was broke inside the locomotor

OldTimer

If the lights don't work, that means that you are not getting power to the track.  Unplug the power pack and plug a lamp into the outlet.  Does it work?  Disconnect the wires from the power pack to the track and re-connect them.  If the wires attach to the power pack by screws, make sure that no little strand of wire is touching any wire on the other terminal.  If the power pack is working, it should get a little warm even if you aren't running the train.
OldTimer

cjm21292

i doubt its the power pack because as we speak right now im using my phase III amtrak e60 nd it works so it has to be the train

OldTimer

Well, there's your answer, then.  Hope you can work it out with the dealer.
OldTimer

cjm21292

yeah thanks for the help hopefully it will work out and i wont need to pay $235 for a new locomotor

bobwrgt

Call the service department and explain your situation. Just because you purchased it at a trains show does not mean it is not under warranty. They will advise you as to what to do and how to get it fixed. The dealer may still be registered with Bachmann.

Bob