News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-6-0's

Started by Pacific Northern, September 14, 2010, 09:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I recently switched my layout over to DCC and decided I should update my Spectrum 4-6-0's to DCC. Installing the decoders was easy, sure not much room in the low boiler 4-6-0 compared to the high boiler versions.

In the past I was sure that I was spinning the drivers of my 4-6-0's if I pulled any more than the 3 standard length walthers heavy weights on my 2 1/2% inclines.

Since I added the decoders my 4-6-0's all pull 4 of the walthers heavyweights on my inclines now.

One of the low boiler 4-6-0 engines does on occasion slip for a second or two and then the drivers catch and away it goes.

Would adding the DCC decoders actually help with their pulling power on inclines?

I was going to add some weight but I do not need to after all.
Pacific Northern

richg

I have heard in some other forums that BULLFROG SNOT works very well. Do a search for it.

Rich

Pacific Northern

Quote from: richg on September 14, 2010, 09:55:39 PM
I have heard in some other forums that BULLFROG SNOT works very well. Do a search for it.

Rich

What does this have to do with the posting question?
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on September 15, 2010, 12:30:26 AM
Quote from: richg on September 14, 2010, 09:55:39 PM

Rich

What does this have to do with the posting question?

Might be easier than adding weight if he goes down that path. Read his first message. This stuff is suppose to increase pulling power if you know anything about it. Many are not aware of the product.

Right now I cannot see how adding a decoder to a loco can increase pulling power but anything is possible.
At least I have never seen an increase in pulling power for all my decoder installs. I did see better slow speed operation though.
My Spectrum 4-4-0 and low boiler 4-6-0 pull just fine DC or DCC.

Rich

Rich

Pacific Northern

My query has been answered.

The addition of the DCC decoder which has BEMF has resulted in increased motor control.

All the more reason to run a DCC layout.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

PacNo-

You're right!  The BEMF will give greater and more consistent motor control which will translate into a bit more power.  I wouldn't look for that with every decoder, however.  It's the BEMF that does the job; cheapie decoders won't have it.

-- D

Pacific Northern

I have a number of 4-6-0's on my roster. They are the predominate engine and I use them for my secondary passenger and mixed trains.

As Spectrums do not have or use traction tires performance can be an issue. I never realized that when I added the decoders I was tweaking the engines performance.

I knew that BEMF would address possible surging of trains going downhill, just pleasantly surprised that there was noticeable enhancement of the motors.

Another reason to switch to DCC.

Pacific Northern