Digitrax N Sound decorder in HO GE 44 ton

Started by avrfan, August 19, 2010, 07:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avrfan

I'M ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL A DIGITRAX N SCALE SOUND DECORDER (SDN144PS) IN A DCC READY BACHMANN 44 TON SWITCHER.
IN THE PAST I'VE INSTALLED ONLY DCC IN ONE OF THESE UNITS THE HARD WAY (ONE WIRE AT A TIME).
THIS DIGITRAX UNIT HAS AN 8 PIN PLUG.
IS THERE A HARNESS?
IF NOT, DOES ANYONE HAVE THE COLOR CODE FOR THE WIRING BOTH SOUND AND POWER (THE HARD WAY)?

jonathan

avrfan,

I have the Spectrum 44 ton switcher, DCC ready version.  Don't know how old this version is.  However,  the online diagram looks exactly like the inside of mine, without the decoder:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/62201.pdf

The last time I had it open, which was a long time ago, I believe I saw the 8 lined up holes that you must solder to.  Sorry, I believe that's the hard way (8,1,2,4,5,6,7).

Good luck to you!

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

Quote from: avrfan on August 19, 2010, 07:53:03 AM
IS THERE A HARNESS?
It all depends on how old your locomotive is, newer ones may have a harness, but how new I do not know.

avrfan

My version is the one between the 2 motors and the DCC installed.

jonathan

Do a general 'search' of the forum; tab is above.  44 ton should be your key words.  In the next block, type "lexon" for items posted by...

Lexon use to post quite regularly.  He did a sound install on a two-motor 44 ton, had some pictures, and I believe a couple of links to his photobucket album.  He was pretty good at instructions and photographs.

Hope that helps your project.

Regards,

Jonathan