News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Correct Turnout?

Started by NOODGE, March 01, 2010, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOODGE

Have an oval w/22" radius track.  Want to make it an oval within the oval.  What is the proper turnout to accomplish this?
THANX

mikec069

Short answer, there isn't one.
You have a whole host of choices.  Aside from the standard (with 18" divergent) turnout, you have #5, & #6 turnout.  And the ever popular crossover.  At a minimum you're going to need two of whichever turnout you choose. More if you want to go from the outside  to the inside AND back again.  At present I'm using 2 #6 crossovers.  May revert to standard turnouts if ALL locos derail while going through them.  But that's a different issue.

First decide what you can afford to spend on the turnout/crossover then and where on the layout you want to do this maneuver. Then go for it.

MikeC069

full maxx

heres mine 22" outside and 18" inside with 2 #6 crossovers...no problem with derailment but the 18 will need 3" straights in the middle of the curves
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

As far as turnouts go avoid making an S curve whenever possible, especially with the 18" radius turnouts.

jward

my advice, from sad experience, is to avoid the 18" radius switches like the plague. they are far more trouble than they are worth. #5 and #6 are far better choices and will cause much less trouble.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

I have 2 #5 and 2 #6 switches now and have no prob even with the 2-8-4 berkshire
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com