News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

indicator lights

Started by fairlane57, February 21, 2010, 07:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fairlane57

This is not new I can't get an answer on how to use indicator lights on the new DCC turnouts to mark which way the switch is set, straight or diverging. Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how so, that's a mouth full AH so. Maybe the Bachmann can tell me.

OldTimer

A very easy solution is to buy an Atlas Snap Relay for each turnout where you want indicator lights.  The Snap Relay is a double pole/double throw switch, so you get two sets of contacts.  One set can power your indicators and you can use the other set for just about any "either/or" function that strikes your fancy.  These relays come with wiring diagrams and I just found some on eBay in the 9 to 12 buck range. 
Just workin' on the railroad.

fairlane57

I don't see how this can help me,I need something that will light when the switch is thrown, at present there is no way to tell which direction is selected, the Prodigy from MRC that I am using just throws the switch there is no help from the manufacturer to tell you how to solve this problem,

Jim Banner

The Atlas Snap Relay is a good solution with normal dual coil switch machines but I am not sure if the decoders in the Bachmann DCC switch machines can handle both the switch machine current and the Snap Relay current at the same time.  At least I assume you are using DCC controlled turnouts if you are throwing them with an MRC Prodigy DCC system.

Do these turnouts have a metal frog that changes polarity when you throw the switch?  If so, you can connect small 16 volt bulbs or better, LEDs from the frog to the stock rails, one to each stock rail.  The stock rails are the outside rails that continue through the turnout without interruption.  If you use LEDs, don't forget their resistors - 1k ohm is about right.

If the turnouts do not have switched frogs, you can use stationary decoders such as a Digitrax DS64 to control LEDs.  Program the stationary decoders to match the addresses of the turnouts (or vise versa), set them for stall motor switch machines (e.g. Tortoise Machines) and connect pairs of LEDs to the outputs.  The pairs of LEDS should be connected in reverse parallel and should have a 1k ohm resistor for each pair.  The DS64 will control lights for up to 4 switch machines (or will control up to 4 switch machines directly.)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

buzz

Hi
I am no electronics wiz but what about the operating switches them selves.
I assume they are a two way switch.
Start with those when the switch is away from you it is normal ie set for the straight.
When the switch is towards you it is reverse ie set for the curve
thats what the real railways do with all signal and point switches.
They do it that way so that if an indicator goes out on the pannel they still know which way its set so they can tell the signal tech which indication is not working.
It actualy goes back to mechanical interlocking with levers in the cabins and became the standard way of doing things.
So start by seting up your operating switches so they are all the same position for the same thing.
just a thought
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Jim Banner

The problem with relying on the position of the electrical switch is that you cannot use any switch that makes continual electrical contact when you use dual solenoid switch machines, at least, not without some electronics to limit the length of time that power is applied to the switch motor.

It is even more complicated when using switch machines controlled by DCC rather than by conventional circuits.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.