News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reverse loop module

Started by jun_1.8T, November 30, 2009, 04:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jun_1.8T

what is this really for??? do i need this when i plan on going with a DCC setup??

thanks for all this newbie questions :-[

ABC

It is for a reverse loop. That is a loop in which the loco goes through the turnout in either direction and returns and makes a loop back to the same spot at the turnout except it is now facing in the opposite direction and the track polarity is switched. The automatic reverse module detects the locomotive's presence on the reverse loop almost instantaneously and switches the polarity of the track as needed to allow the loco and the rest of the train to pass without causing a short.
If you plan on having a reverse loop in your layout then plan on purchasing an automatic reversing unit. If you don't want a reverse loop or wye in your layout then there is absolutely no need for a reversing module.

jun_1.8T

so even if i will be using a DCC setup...i would still need this module when i put up a reverse loop???

thanks!

ABC

Quote from: jun_1.8T on November 30, 2009, 05:03:27 PM
so even if i will be using a DCC setup...i would still need this module when i put up a reverse loop???
An automatic reversing unit only works with DCC systems. Automatic reversing units for reverse loops do not work at all with standard DC layouts, they are only intended for use on layouts with DCC. If you have a reversing loop or wye on a DC layout it involves a lot more wires and is much more intricate than what is required for a DCC layout.

jun_1.8T

thank you again...now that is clear

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on November 30, 2009, 04:51:28 PM
If you plan on having a reverse loop in your layout then plan on purchasing an automatic reversing unit.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  In many cases the alternatives are about as easy to wire and are much cheaper than using an auto reverser.  The wired alternatives never have timing problems and never require adjustment of sensitivity.  Best of all, the operation of the wired alternatives is just as transparent to the operator as the operation of an auto reverser.

Wired alternatives cannot replace auto reversers in all cases but can replace them in most cases, including simple reverse loops (loops with only one way in and out,) wye tail tracks (which are a special case of reverse loops,) turn table bridges, and complex loops (loops with multiple ways in and out) provided the turnouts controlling the entrances can be linked mechanically or electrically.

In most cases the only additional hardware required, if any, is an Atlas Snap Relay that cost only 1/6th to 1/3rd the price of an auto reverser.  In many cases, NO additional hardware is required.

One such wired alternative can be found at the link below:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop/loop.html

While the article talks about large scale and a mechanically linked double pole double throw (DPDT) toggle switch, the concept is equally applicable to smaller scales as well.  If you use common twin coil switch machines, then an Atlas Snap Relay can be used to reverse the polarity in the loop when you change the turnout.  A total of 7 wires, none more than a foot long, takes care of the wiring.  This is an example of a simple loop (specifically a balloon track.) 

If there is any interest, we can go into this in more detail.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.