Problem with our first train set - arghhhh!

Started by dkhbrit, November 14, 2009, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkhbrit

Got the Rail King all set up, power on, the track is live but the locomotive won't move. It lights up OK but just doesn't want to go.

Any tips or do I need to send it back? I

ABC

Is this your set?
Rail King
Road Name: Santa Fe
Product Information
You'll rule the rails with our impressive Rail King set. This 130-piece set will take your railroading empire to new heights, with miniature people and structures bringing the entire scene to life.
This ready-to-run train set includes:
• EMD GP40 diesel locomotive with operating headlight
• gondola
• open quad hopper
• plug-door box car
• off-center caboose
• 47" x 38" oval of snap-fit E-Z Track®, including 12 pieces curved track, 1 piece straight track, and 1 plug-in terminal rerailer
• signal bridge
• 36 miniature people figures
• 24 telephone poles
• 48 railroad and street signs
• power pack and speed controller
• illustrated instruction manual
Price: $135.00
Product Code: 00657

If so, Make sure you have the connector secured in terminal rerailer and secured in the power pack and speed controller. Next, ensure all the wheels are on the track. Make sure the track is continuous, that is check to see if any of the pieces are not connected correctly, which would mean the rail joiners are not touching, or the track is otherwise not touching. Make sure the power cord is firmly in your power pack and in your wall outlet, and ensure that your wall socket works, or is not turned off in your circuit breaker box. Next, if possible, test your locomotive at your local hobby shop or at a friend's house if possible and do the same with your power pack by trying it on someone else's layout to ensure it functions correctly. I highly doubt that the items you posses have a defect that is causing the locomotive not to run, so it will probably do you no good to send it back if you still are going to have the same problem due to faulty track work.

rich1998

Quote from: dkhbrit on November 14, 2009, 11:47:17 AM
Got the Rail King all set up, power on, the track is live but the locomotive won't move. It lights up OK but just doesn't want to go.

Any tips or do I need to send it back? I

since the loco lights up but does not move, it might be a defective loco. not familiar with the loco. Bachmann low end stuff seems to have problems. Made in china. years ago, use to be made in japan.
lex

ABC

Quote from: lexon on November 14, 2009, 03:33:23 PM
since the loco lights up but does not move, it might be a defective loco. not familiar with the loco. Bachmann low end stuff seems to have problems. Made in china. years ago, use to be made in japan.
lex
I'd be willing to bet that the loco's not defective, the loco is an ATSF GP40, although it is not the best or runners, it will run. The only other thing I can think of is to check inside the loco to see if any wires are loose or disconnected or touching something they shouldn't be touching.

dkhbrit

Thanks guys

Finally got it going this afternoon. Not absolutely sure what happened. It seems to work best if you start with the power dial at zero (before plugging into the wall) and you slowly feed in the power to the rails.

It's a great little starter set really. We wanted something to go around our tree for the holidays! I may have got the bug now though - I already went and bought another loco for it.

NarrowMinded

The train bug is more contagious then H1N1 and surely more fun to catch but way harder to cure... Go buy some of the cheap lighted Christmas homes  from home depot to set up along the track and the bug will become a chronic condition.

NM

dkhbrit

OK, I still have the same problem. I have 2 locos - both doing the same thing so not the loco.

When I power up (with the controller at zero) the loco buzzes and lights all the way up - like it's getting full power when it shouldn't be. I'm assuming that the controller or power supply is at fault. The track seems fine - I assume it wouldn't get power at all if the track was the problem.

Are these Bachmann sets just plain poor quality?

RAM

It these are DC and the controller is off, there should not be power to the track.  If they are DCC you will have full power to the track regardless of what setting the controller is set.  Another thing.  If it is DC.  Do you have the right posts connected to the track.  There should be 4 post.  two of them should say "to the track"

NarrowMinded

Sounds like you either have the power supply hooked up wrong, or you have a bad power supply.

NM

Jim Banner

Testing tip - remove all the cars and extra locomotives from the track.  Disconnect the power pack.  This should leave just one locomotive on the rails and nothing else connected.

Take a fresh, alkaline, 9 volt battery and touch the terminals to the rails (one to each rail.)  The locomotive should light up and move.  If it does, your power pack is faulty or improperly connected.  If the locomotive does not move but lights up, the locomotive is faulty.  If the locomotive does not move but lights up dimly or not at all, either the locomotive or the track is shorted or the battery is not as fresh as we thought it was.

Without testing, it is all just idle speculation.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Dear dkhbrit,

By your description, it almost sounds like you are (incorrectly) feeding accessory power (16 VAC) to the track.  (Lights up all the way, buzzing.)

Track power is variable DC. 

Does your power pack look like this?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

If not, could you post a picture, or a link to a picture (in an ebay auction, e.g.) of your power pack?

Is your power pack set up for 110 V or 220 V power? ("brit" in your name makes me question.)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.