News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

changing bodies of locomotives.

Started by pepegalego, November 20, 2009, 04:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepegalego

Are there spares of loco bodies for the GP-30 / GP-35?
I have a number of different liveries however, is it possible to buy different liveried shells to change the ones I have?

thanks in advance.

ABC

Yes, that is what eBay and flea markets/train expos are for. But Bachmann does not currently offer shells for separate sale. But you can give them a call and ask their service department to double check. But even if they do, the cost of shipping and handling would make it ill advised to purchase them., but ultimately if they offer them which is unlikely, it is your choice.

Jim Banner

ABC has assumed that your locomotives are from Bachmann.  If not, they may be from one of the suppliers who do sell separate shells.

I assume you are trying to make your fleet more uniform, possibly limiting it to one railroad.  Repainting your present locomotives would be one solution.  Buying some suitable motive power on eBay and selling your surplus power is a possibility if you are old enough to use eBay.  I am afraid that you are not likely to have much luck finding either shells or dummy units as Bachmann never sold either.

One other possibility if your railroad is relatively modern is to turn some of the "foreign road" power into lease units.  I see CN and CP trains regularly and it is not unusual during busy times to see some lease units mixed in with home road power.  Often the only thing the owners of the lease units do is paint out the original owners name and cab numbers using whatever paint comes to hand.  Sometimes they may put their own reporting marks and numbers on them, but as often as not, there are no such markings.  If you do this, consider using a water based paint, including some acrylics, that can be washed off with alcohol.  Then it is a simple cleaning job to restore the "lease" units back to whatever they were originally.

On my own H0 layout based on a fictional railroad, I decided years ago to have only CNR, CPR and home road locomotives.  So all the odd ball locomotives got painted in my own colour scheme and run only on the part of the world I model.  CNR and CPR locomotives can pull trains onto or off of the modelled part of the world or can run through without switching.  It helps that there are two hidden yards which are considered "part of the rest of the world" and not part of the modelled world.

Perhaps some of these ideas will be useful to you.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.