News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

peter de witt trolleys

Started by alessio, October 25, 2009, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessio

What are the differences between a #23903 series and the lower priced 84601? eg, motor quality, detailing, trolley pole, etc.  Also what is the minimum recommended radius for each?

ABC

The more expensive one has these additional features: painted interior with seats, photo-etched brass safety screen, a digital trolley bell, & an electronic reversing unit. The more expensive one has sound (trolley bell), a built in reversing unit, a more detailed interior with a hidden drive train, as well as a more detailed exterior. It also has a slightly better motor I think, but not much of a difference. The trolley poles are the same. I'd say do not run them below 15" radius curves for best results, but you could probably get away with tighter curves...but that may be asking for trouble...especially if your track work has some imperfections...personally I'd stick with 18" radius.

Bill Baker

I bought the early model Peter Witt and installed track to run in the downtown area on my layout.  I have two curves that are approximately 8" to 9 inches in radius.  It runs very good through these tight turns.  I used flex track and mounted it very carefully down the middle of my main street.  I ran the trolley several times through the turns to make sure there were no derailments.  I then came back and added my streets on both sides of the track with styrene sheets.  The middle of the track were carefully cut styrene strips.  That was the hardest part, cutting the middle part of the track inserts to conform with the curvature of the track.  With carefull cutting and filing and making sure there was sufficient room to allow the trucks to remain on the rails, it turned out quite well.

Now with all that being said, If I ever redo that section, I would epoxy the individual rails to my sub board and place the styrene streets next to the rails....being sure to use an HO rail gauge.  Oh yes, one final thought.  Be sure and spray paint your streets either concrete or asphalt before you place them. Dumb me, I didn't and had to use a Bright Boy quite vigorously to clean the track of paint.

Good luck, Bill
Bill

BaltoOhioRRfan

23903 series are the O Scale version of the model.

Also the Trolleys will take 9 inch though i think i had one take a tighter curve once when using flex track to see how tight it would go.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ABC

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on October 26, 2009, 05:58:28 PM
23903 series are the O Scale version of the model.
That would explain the huge price discrepancy, and why the more expensive one does not have DCC. I am such an idiot, sorry "alessio", my apologies.