Kitbashing steam locos using Bachmann mechanisms

Started by bbarnes, September 04, 2009, 11:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbarnes

Hi All
I am interested in kitbashing steam locomotives. I want to build a model of an Australian 4-6-0 and was wondering if anyone knows of a Bachmann loco which be used as a suitable mechanism.
The loco I want to model has 50 inch driving wheels and the drivers are spaced 5 feet 3 inches and 8 feet 7 inches apart. I was thinking of using a Spectrum 0-6-0 saddle tank switcher as a start but I don know what the driving wheel size is or the distance between the axles.
Any advice would be gratefully recieved
many thanks
BB

Jim Banner

My first thought is that Bachmann does not produce any broad gauge mechanisms.  But my second thought is that if the narrow gauge guys can move the wheels out about 1.5 mm. on each side to turn an 0n30 mechanism into an 0n3, then you should be able to move wheels out by about 1.0 mm on each side to turn an H0 mechanism into an H0b5.25 or an H0w63 (or whatever the NMRA would have us call an H0 scale 5'-3" gauge mechanism.)

Still thinking about your question, my third thought is that I have a Spectrum 0-6-0T and will measure it for you.

__________________________________ later ____________________________

The wheels are 12.77 mm diameter at the tread and 14.15 mm over the flanges.  That is 43.8" and 48.5"

The first and second axles are 66" centre to centre and the second and third axles are 53" centre to centre.  Total wheel base = 9'-11".

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bbarnes

Hi Jim
thanks for the info - the loco I want to build is a standard guage New South Wales Railways 4-6-0.
Rgds
BB

jerryl

It's usually the other way around.   More people repower Bachmann engines than use Bach. running gear for "bashing".  In fact, they keep North West shortlines in business.  Bowser also has Mechanisms for Bach. engines.
  Would hate to see your new engine with many hrs. of work fail.
   I would use an old Mantua, that could be gotten cheaply even if you have to remotor it ,or even a Bowser kit.

Jerry

Nigel

Hi BB;

That is quite a distance between driving axles.  I would investigate an old Mantua/Tyco 4-6-0 or Bowser Casey Jones 4-6-0. 

http://bowser-trains.com/holocos/casey_jones/casey_jones.htm
http://bowser-trains.com/holocos/casey_jones/Casey.pdf

The Casey Jones axle spacing looks close.  It comes with 62" drivers, which would need to be replaced.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955